Model T Hubcap Markings

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Model T Hubcap Markings
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 06:03 am:

I have been trying to find a set of matching hub caps with just the right amount of wear for my '23. I've noticed that in the later ones there are a variety of materials used. Also there are small markings on the very bottom under where they're stamped "Made in USA." These include letters and stars. Were these manufacturer marks? If so, how many different ones are out there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 09:37 am:

I've been collecting hubcaps for years. There are many different companies that made them, and my guess is at least a half dozen. I have a full set of NOS nickel plated hub caps on my '25. I doubt if anyone is going to stoop low enough to check!
If you really want a challenge, try collecting hubcaps for a 1913!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 01:20 pm:

Mark,

See Bruce's online encyclopedia at: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/hubcaps.htm which has the major differences noted.

He also has a note about the 1917 "Rip Van Winkle" Ford that had never been restored, had less than 40 miles when the photos were taken. He says:

The 1917 "Rip Van Winkle" Ford had caps with the high "F" on one side and the "1921-style" caps on the other, and this was an original, unrestored, car.

Note also that Ford of Canada and Ford of England produced their hub caps with markings. And of course there have been years of after market hub caps being produced.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 08:14 pm:

Hey Hap,

Yeah ... I did look at Bruce's section on hub caps. It's good for the major differences, but didn't go into all the variant markings on the later caps that I was asking about.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 09:46 am:

Another variation on hubcaps is the height of the octagon. Some are higher than others. They seem to have standardized the hubcaps in later years, but the '13s are all over the place!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration