Opinion Gen vs Alt

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Opinion Gen vs Alt
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Eaton on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 07:43 am:

I'm looking for your thoughts and opinions about my putting a 6 volt alternator on my FORDOR. The generator needs to be replaced. A new alternator is close in price. New generator or new alternator...Need info )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 08:14 am:

Duplicate Post!

Post comments on this thread: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/786085.html?1504352443

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent Pellegrini on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 08:25 am:

I had actually replaced mine with an alternator, saving the old generator, just in case down the road I may rebuild it ( I actually had some one rebuild it and it failed, that is another story) I've been told an alternator will deliver more consistent power, a generator is more up and down, and can boil over the water in the battery, so you have to make sure you keep an eye on your water level. ( this is what I've been told, I'm no expert) my experience with my alternator has been good, but my car is a driver, not a show car. If you want to be original go the generator, when they are working well I think they work great, I have been happy with my alternator

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Eaton on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 08:31 am:

Sorry about the duplicate- having trouble posting- feast or famine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 08:56 am:

I have 6v alt on my cars because it gives me bright headlights!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Eaton on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 10:46 am:

Thanks Jim. We in Canada are supposed to drive with headlights on in daytime for safety
I would prefer to have lights on if possible without draining battery or overworking generator. John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 11:55 am:

John, how does that regulation work out for the guys running carbide lamps ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent Pellegrini on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 12:35 pm:

In most provinces as far as I know driving lights are only mandatory on newer vehicles, except I think the Yukon Territory,it is on all vehicles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Eaton on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 12:47 pm:

You are correct Brent.I don't have to run the lights however I believe the lights are safer so I would prefer to use them. I am also planning to run LEDs in the lamps on the 1914 as soon as I can.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Eaton on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 12:53 pm:

A picture of my 1914. Its fun and better than when I got it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 01:07 am:

You may want to try your kerosene and gas lamps. They're effective and easy to use. I lit mine this morning on a '14. Prest-O-Lite gas costs about a $1.00 an hour and I can light the whole rig in less time than I typed this. (OK, so I type with two fingers)

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 01:21 am:

One advantage of a generator is the permanent magnet field. In a pinch you could push start a generator car with a dead battery. The alternator (modern version of the magneto) uses an electro-magnet for the field. That means if the battery is dead there is no magnet field to create electricity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 01:12 pm:

There's no permanent magnets in a Model T generator. The pole shoes are energized (magnetized) by the field windings and controlled by the third brush. The small residual can barely be measured. That's why is doesn't matter what location they're in when rebuilding. The residual is quickly overridden by flashing.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration