Parts need identification, see pictures

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Parts need identification, see pictures
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Smith Littleton, Co. on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 06:00 pm:

Selling off some parts for a friend. Any ideas as to what years and models these fit? The brackets that hold the top bows have T 5179 81 on one and T5178 81 "B" or "R" on the other. #1#2#3#4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 06:34 pm:

Chuck
first brackets are from '23 roadster and a little later...

and the irons are from same, and I believe will also fit touring of same vintage

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 06:35 pm:

oh and that thing in the middle is a radiator cap...

HAHAHA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 07:01 pm:

I was thinking that the first brackets pictured are rear body to frame brackets for a late 22 to 23 low cowl touring (maybe later?
They are a little different than the ones later posted if you look closely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 07:26 pm:

John
Granted, the outline is slightly different, but if you look at the holes, they are the same bracket. Both runabout and touring of that vintage have all same brackets...these in the front, and triangular brackets for the center and rear

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leon Parker - Benton, Kentucky on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 07:48 pm:

They are the rear brackets for a touring. The front ones have a bend for the dash pillars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Smith Littleton, Co. on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 08:00 pm:

Scott, I was wondering what the thing in the middle was. I think John may be on to something, the brackets I have don't have the offset the ones pictured have. John, I know where a little later touring is and I'll go check. That might tell the tale. The last thing I want to do is mis-represent something to someone that is relying on me to know what I'm selling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 08:02 pm:

That's what I was thinking Leon. I have a pair of these I was going to use for my 21 Touring rebuild but was told 21 and earlier didn't use them. Is that correct?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Jull in Oakland on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 08:26 pm:

Leon is correct that the first 2 photos are the rear brackets for a touring with the 3 piece rear (21-25?). The other photos show the rear brackets for a touring (21-25?) that the frame for the top attaches to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 08:38 pm:

The brackets were used after the rear cross sill went from wood to steel 1921-25 tourings (three piece rear tub body). Roadster top irons before 1923, not touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 12:05 am:

John, Leon and others. Thank you for the schooling. I clearly don't know the innards of a touring like I know the roadster. Many thanks for following up and correcting me

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Jull in Oakland on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 02:27 am:

The top irons may be for a roadster as Mark stated but a 3 piece rear tub touring also has them like that too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 10:36 am:

Here are the brackets installed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 10:55 am:

I stand corrected. They are indeed touring top brackets. Ford part numbers are; 5178BIRX and 5179BIRX Iron (body top) rear seat side R&L. 1921-1925
The 1927 body parts book only has an illustration of them for the runabout/roadster but they have a different parts number and the leg that mounts to the pillar looks longer.
MarkG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 01:05 pm:

Cory

I have been following this after finding out that I was completely mistaken in my ID. Thanks for posting these pix of the part in place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Smith Littleton, Co. on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 03:09 pm:

Thanks to Scott, Mark, Corey, Thomas,and John for working out my question. I don't have experience in the "Middle ages" of T's. I have little experience with 13 and the most in the New 26-7's. Thanks again! Chuck in Littleton, Colo. Be warned I have few more parts I can't identify coming in the next few weeks.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration