Touring cover

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Touring cover
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Anthony DeMiglio on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 08:55 pm:

Hello again, looking for suggestions, thanks. Going to trailer my 16 touring for approx 60 miles highway. In the past i have covered and wrap with plastic tarps. Takes longer than loading car on trailer. Usually have to stop several times to re secure tarps. Possibly load back end first, different style or shape tarp? I trailer ed one time with top down, it seemed harder to secure top, i don't have a boot.Thanks again

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady L Puryear on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 12:32 pm:

I have trailered my car every way possible, top up, top down, saran wrap, tarpaulin, and custom cover. The important thing is to remove the seats, floor boards, and I remove the hood, you will loose all that stuff over time, believe me. I like my custom cover, they are less than $200, some have a soft lining and lots of good features, I can tie mine underneath, side to side, it never moves. My .02

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Anthony DeMiglio on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 12:58 pm:

Thanks Grady, Anywhere in particular you found your car cover? Or any model t supplier? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 01:21 pm:

Peter, you probably have heard this and don't want to hear it again but there is nothing better for towing a T than an enclosed trailer. They are relatively inexpensive when considering the exposure of an open trailer. Just my .02. Dick C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 02:07 pm:

Personally I only used enclosed trailers. That being said I have seen guys use a custom cover then shrink wrap the cover on the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Bond on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 02:11 pm:

Agree that on an open trailer things will bounce around, especially floor boards and seat cushions. Have seen the occasional coil box cover disappear also. I've seen a variety of covers but the best is a nicely fitted cover that just helps protect the body tub and is not a "full" car cover. I've seen the result of towing open with a poorly fitted cover where it flaps around with the wind and beats the paint to death. I've seen fender edges, etc worn down to the primer and bare metal from it. Cheap plastic tarps from a hardware store are not recommended.
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clyde Gibson on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 03:30 pm:

I had a open trailer to start and switched to enclosed one . I have really enjoyed this one as I can haul tools and parts, and generator and air compressor also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 04:13 pm:

I made a cover for my Fordor and one for my Runabout. Trailers are a pain to store when not in use, and that's most of the time, so I opted to use an open trailer. I like projects and happen to own a heavy duty sewing machine. This rig has crossed the country several times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 04:23 pm:

A loose cover can wear out a good paint when flapping in the wind.. Saran wrap tightly wound may be a good idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 05:45 pm:

A flapping top will cut right through the fabric where it hits the top rib on a runabout. Ask me how I know. The cover pictured does not flap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Anthony DeMiglio on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 09:40 pm:

Thanks everyone for your help, much appreciated. Pete

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration