National Stearman Fly-IN Sept 4th thru 9th

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: National Stearman Fly-IN Sept 4th thru 9th
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 11:56 pm:

Held in Galesburg, IL Sept 4th thru 9th. Normally about 100 are expected to show up. It's a family event with rides being given.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 05:13 pm:

http://stearmanflyin.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady L Puryear on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 07:31 pm:

Me in a Stearman a long time ago, Oh for the days !!!

Stearman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 10:06 pm:

Looks like fun, Grady. A Stearman is waaaay up on my bucket list to fly but in the meantime I hope to get up in some other period stuff next week. I'll post some pics if anyone's interested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 11:34 am:

My good friend's Stearman that I get front seat "stick time" in occasionally - low & slow is the only way to go !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady L Puryear on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 11:57 am:

Back in the day, when I still was "In License" a friend had a Stearman and an AT-6 hangered on the same field I was. He would let me fly both whenever I wanted, just put fuel back in it. They are a surprisingly easy airplane to fly, which was one of the reasons the Services used them for Basic. Acrobatics are a dream, I still treasure the first time I ever "rolled" one, and a "loop" was not far behind. Long time ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam Mendenhall on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 12:08 pm:

I was in the Stearman movement from 73 till 82, building them as well as flying. B75511. I was manager of Galesburg Airport for 4 years. Know as "AceEli" I have tons of books from Stearman Restorers if anyone interested. Sam

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 04:46 pm:

I have never flown in one, have no photos to share. I really have had very little to do with planes in my life. A detail I think I regret.
I enjoy seeing these pictures, hearing about such meets, and other people's memories. So, yes, please share more.
I do have fond memories of my own. Several antique auto meets combined with fly-ins, a neighbor and friend of my aunt and uncle that used to fly a genuine Jenny. And even seeing a Ford Tri-motor flying low and slow right over my house, on its landing approach (several times).
My fondest memories, however, are from when I was really small, late '50s and early '60s. My grandparents raised peaches outside Modesto Califunny. They had a hundred acres total, and required crop dusting a few times each year. They often tried to time the crop dusting to when grandchildren would visit. They knew the pilot well, and would tell him that the kids were going to be there, so he would put on a little more show. The best part was, that most of the ranch was on a basic elevation, along with the nearby town of Empire. However, one small section was at a lower level, near the creek that formed that boundary to the property. The house was right next to that section, on top of what could be called a bluff. From the upstairs windows, we could look out, and down onto the top of the airplane as it made each pass over the trees. Then up he flew, shaking the house as he rose back skyward. Then a flip, and back down he went making another pass, again shaking the house as he went.

I don't know what kind of a plane he used. I do know that it was modified with a bigger engine and tanks for the crop dusting. I clearly picture it as yellow and blue. Watching that show was something I looked forward to every year, for several years.
Great stuff!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration