OT. Fordsons

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT. Fordsons
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth LeBlanc on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 11:21 am:

Does anyone know of a resource for identifing year of production on fordson tractors? Serial numbers are not visible around manifold area .these are rubber tire tractors thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 11:27 am:

Found using Google:

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/tractor-brands/fordson/fordson-tractors .html

http://home.gwi.net/~dclough/serialpage.html

https://www.thefordsonhouse.com/datingchart.asp

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 12:36 pm:

The American versions (1918-1927 model "F") were never offered with rubber tires unless they were the fairly rare industrial models, but alot of them were converted by cutting off the steel wheel's outer rim and welding on a conventional tire rim.
Like the "T", Fordsons went through alot of changes during their production- Wheels, carburetors, and castings that can narrow down a machine to a few years at most. Be aware though, that just like their "T" cousins, there are alot of machines that exist today because they were assembled from several other tractors and may contain a mish-mash of parts from different eras.
The Irish and British built Fordsons (1929- to the early 1950's "N" & "E27N") were offered on Steel or pneumatic tires and are a physically bigger and more beefed up version of the American version. Several were exported back to the states over the years- or at least until Ford got back in the tractor business in the late 1930's.

(I knew of one Michigan family that bought a brand new British Fordson in 1938- a few months before the revolutionary Ford/Ferguson "9n" hit the dealer's lots at half the price of their now-woefully obsolete tractor!).

Try posting a picture here, or over at Yesterdays Tractors in their Fordson discussion group

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth LeBlanc on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 02:19 pm:

Both tractors use an external magneto which leads me to think they may be imported n models?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 02:45 pm:

Just like the T you could convert the coil and timer to a clip on magneto.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOSCH-magneto-drive-FORDSON-Model-T-FORD-SCTA-TROG-speed ster/192244852891?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 05:55 pm:

The Model N Cork, Ireland made Fordsons had rubber tires, front and rear, At least the one that I had, did. The English made Fordsons, also had rubber tires, as far as I know, for most, if not all, of their production.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 06:54 pm:

If the magnetos are angled up from the front timer cover (roughly in the same positon as a model "T"s) and exit out the left side of the tractor at about 45 degrees, that is an aftermarket set up on an American model "F".

If the magneto is mounted horizontally, just above the block/oilpan parting line, from the back of the front engine cover, just forward of the carbuterator on the right side, that is an Irish or British "N" or E27N.

A picture is worth a thousand guesses....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth LeBlanc on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 09:14 pm:

You are on the money Dale I have one of each . The one I hope I can restore has the mag mounted in front of the timing cover exiting out the left side and rubber front and rear I am trying to post pictures

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Monday, September 11, 2017 - 07:08 am:

Here is a photo of a tractor that Ken emailed me.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Fordson Tractor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Monday, September 11, 2017 - 03:34 pm:

American "F" on cutoff steel with rims welded to the spokes.
If that is an early Ferguson plow made specifically for the Fordson, it is probably worth more than the tractor!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Stahl on Monday, September 11, 2017 - 07:51 pm:

My 4th of July text to my friends - The evening sun highlights our flag as it ripples in the breeze. In the early 1920'S this FORDSON Tractor was someones pride n joy. ITS SO PURTY IT MAKES U WANTTA CRY. HAPPY 4th of JULY! 4th of July

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, September 11, 2017 - 07:59 pm:

Cool fordson.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 06:55 am:

Dale, if I'm correct you believe it to be an American F.

Tim, great looking Fordson, hope you have it restored and running.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration