Low band adjustment

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Low band adjustment
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By vincent c bassani on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 03:55 pm:

i have adjusted my low band to almost snug andmy foot pedal still hits the floor board. and i still struggle on even moderate hills

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 04:27 pm:

Likely time for new band lining, as the old is now worn down and too thin to grab and hold firm that spinning low drum.

And check the cover and pedal cams, those could be so worn out the pedal is sloppy before engaging the band around the drum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 09:09 pm:

when you push the pedal it should move from high to neutral without compressing the band, but as soon as you reach the neutral position, the shaft should start moving in to compress the band. Many times the cam and notch are so worn that they don't begin to compress the band until you reach the floorboard. Unfortunately tightening the band will cause the band to drag and overheat the drum but still not compress enough to get a good low gear. If your transmission is like that you will need to replace the notch and cam.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Dorholt - Mpls, MN on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 09:57 pm:

I replaced a badly worn notch and cam two years ago, today I adjusted it for the first time since new and it took less than a half a turn to give me a nice low peddle again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 10:08 pm:

Besides the notch and cam being worn the actual pedal may be bent too far forward by years and years of folks in the past stomping on the brake pedal really hard. After I replaced the notch and cam on my '19 I physically took two large pipe wrenches and bent everything back as close to the original shape as possible and all is good. There are previous posts you can look up on bending the pedal but in my opinion the notch and cam replacement should come first.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration