Look what I found!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Look what I found!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 04:16 pm:

While taking apart the hand brake on my '10, I noticed some brass color on the underside beneath the green paint. I've heard that the early cars had brass plated brake levers, but I never thought I'd find any trace of it on this one! Kind of cool to think of an all brass (plated) and shiny brake lever! Now I always thought just the lever would have been brass plated, but from the looks of mine maybe the entire assembly was plated? Any thoughts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 04:36 pm:

Get you some paint remover and see if the paint comes off.
You need to repaint it anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 04:45 pm:

Like many other attachments on Model T's, cams were brazed after they were pinned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Brand on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 04:57 pm:

Hi Bill

From your photos it looks like the cam is pressed. If so its a later one and not the original part for your 1910. The correct one would be forged. In this case I think Walter is correct - what we can see is brazing.

I'm enjoying your posts of what you find as you go through the car.

Andrew

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 05:41 pm:

Yes, the more I look the more I'm disappointed! I should have read Gail Rodda's book more closely - they only brass plated the lever. And I'm finding more parts that are incorrect on this car but that's how it goes!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 12:17 am:

That, unfortunately, is a common problem with older restorations. It seems so ridiculous in retrospect. Correct early parts were more available (except for five ball carburetors), and much cheaper then. Yet so many restorers used incorrect later parts in their restorations. A lot of that goes back to that thing I mention from time to time. Most people simply did not know (and certainly did not understand) the changes and differences in these pieces. Provenance was not considered important to most of the hobby even forty years ago. A lot of times, it was just so easy to replace a part that needed a minor repair, without giving a thought to the notion that the replacement was not correct.
I applaud you, and anyone else, that takes such a car, gives it a "freshen up" restoration, and replaces as many of the incorrect parts with proper pieces as they reasonably can.

I don't have the dates handy. But a few differences between earlier and later brake handle cross shafts. Brass plated (handle only) in '09 and much of '10. The forged/cast clutch cam is the most obvious and well known difference. The change to the stamped clutch cam was during 1915 if I recall correctly. A lesser known change, the earlier ones had a "key" between the handle and the cross shaft (along with the rivet), unlike the common later ones that have only a rivet. I don't know when that change was made (but I think it was also around '15).
There were minor changes in the way the handle grip spring was attached, and a slight change in the angle the handle stood up from the cross shaft. Brass era were basically straight up if I recall correctly. Later ones angled out slightly, and some later yet angled even more. The dog (for the ratchet) was cast early, and folded over flat stock later (although that was often replaced as routine maintenance). The "pillow-block" (frame-mount pivots) changed several times in the shape between the frame and cross shaft, mostly to accommodate oil holes or felts, used some years, not others (once again my memory and lousy book-keeping fails me, I don't remember when those changes were made).

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration