Original floor boards

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Original floor boards
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 05:03 pm:

I have seen a couple of old threads on the forum that begin to address the question but then they drift off into the old story about shipping crates. I'd like to know how many on the forum have what they think are original floor boards that are marked "Simplex Mfg Co, Kansas City" like
the set I have in my '23 runabout.

Board

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 05:17 pm:

I just purchased a set of originals for my 24 Touring....original wood, original rivets,original pedal surrounds and the original heat shield for the pedal area. UPS should get them to me this week.

I'll let you know if they say anything underneath.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 05:38 pm:

Mark, I'd like to see this thread expanded to include all known or "suspected" original floorboards regardless of year.

For what it's worth, although my '13 runabout has a Wilson body, the floorboards are all marked "FBCO" suggesting they are Fisher floorboards. They are ash, which is "correct".

Because the large floorboard was split out around the lever opening, and the lower toe-board was broken at the thinnest point, the relief for the brake pedal, I remade those two pieces. When I started, I referred to the Fun Projects print for the floorboard, which stated the thickness of plank was to be 9/16". I should have first measured the floorboards, because they are 5/8". Not a huge difference, but I believe the later floorboards were the thinner measure.

I think the legend of the packing crates has been pretty much been laid to rest by folks who are serious historians and have done the research.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 06:19 pm:

As far as I know floorboards are 9/16" thick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 06:28 pm:

It matters little functionally. The rebates in the body are a wee bit over 5/8" deep, there's a possibility the floorboards mine came with are phony - the "FBCO" imprint that's on them could very easily be done, there's nothing special about the letters, but the boards are a full 5/8" thick. Any road, Fisher floorboards in a Wilson body begs for an explanation . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 08:47 pm:

My Dad's '26 TT which he purchased in 1942 (a steel enclosed cab), still has what I believe to be original floorboards. Solid!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 08:53 pm:

Hmm ... and what about the boards marked Simplex Mfg Co. Kansas City ? These are 9/16 thick and slotted along the edges for the separate boards to mate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 08:57 pm:

Here's the set that I'll be receiving soon. Nice and worn....to match my car

This set is missing the rear most piece. I'll have to make that one

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 09:42 pm:

Email me and I'll send you higher res pictures of mine (both sides) if you want. Mosterman@eastman.org

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 09:46 pm:

I believe the discussion at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/286255.html?1336430666 describes why a body made by one body company might have the front floorboards from a different company installed.

A quick summary. We have original Ford documentation that for the time frame of 12/23/15 to 9/6/19 outside body makers for the open cars also supplied floorboards with the bodies. (Ref para 3 at the posting above time stamped:By Hap Tucker on Wednesday, May 02, 2012 - 09:28 pm: ) We believe but we do not have solid documentation that also occurred previously and also after those dates. We would welcome additional documentation to support or correct that belief.

But the front floorboards would be removed as the bodies were transported to the factory. (I also recommend folks remove them when they trailer their T if they use an open trailer.) At the factory the floorboards remained out of the bodies as the bodies were moved around the factory and later assembled to the chassis. Then the floorboards might be added or if the body was going to be removed from the chassis and shipped at an angle in a box car the front floorboards would still not be installed. Since the floorboards were interchangeable between the companies (i.e. Ford said to make them a certain size/pattern) Ford did not go to the trouble to try and put any certain floorboard back into any certain open car body. And clearly a dealer who received a shipment of cars in a box car that they assembled at the railway yard did not care which floorboards went in which car. Other than some but probably not all of the boards have stamping on the bottom of the boards indicating which company produced them, they all met the same functional requirements.

There are several photos in the posting showing the bodies during the 1910 to 1920s assembly process -- all without the front floorboards installed.

Rich -- you are correct that "...the legend of the packing crates has been pretty much been laid to rest." Note Ford did have a machine that would join pieces of wood together. I looked for the name but I didn't find it. I've been transferring files from my old computer to the new one. Some of them didn't make it (I used a file name that was too long etc.). If someone remember that name and can direct to the posting on that it would be appreciated.

Some previous floorboard postings with letters:

Currently I have information about floorboards with the following letters stamped on the underside of the front floorboards:

Mengle Mfg Co, Louisville KY from your 1924 Coupe see: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/79903.html (By the way in the posting you mentioned you had a photo oif the Mengle Mfg Co producing the floorboards. I haven’t run across that in my search so far today. If I don’t find it (I think it was posted on the MTFCA forum) I will send you another note asking for a copy or where I can find a copy. )

FBCo40374 on a 1912 foredoor http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/210104.html

FBCO-M floorboards 1916 runabout - http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/87388.html

WBCO-M on a 1916 touring with “FORD” stamped into the body - http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/85699.html?1244941216

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john hardiman on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 07:41 am:

Hello,

To keep the original patina what (chemical) would one use to clean the dirt or unwanted material from the wood and after cleaning it what would you use to maintain this patina?

I know furniture restorers use something to clean wood, what they use, I have no clue.

Anyone know?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John V. Dow on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 08:12 am:

What was the approx. 1" hole adjacent to the pedals used for?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 08:46 am:

John,

Ref your question, "What was the approx. 1" hole adjacent to the pedals used for?" It was a place to put your finger so it was easy to lift the floorboard out. Why was it placed in only one floorboard? Because once you removed one of them it was easy to grasp the others.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 08:46 am:

I'm thinking that hole was for pulling out the floor boards. And so ..... getting back to the original question .... how many out there have floor boards that are marked Simplex?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 08:47 am:

John....If you're referring to the photo that I posted...I don't know what that hole is for. I'm assuming someone drilled it for maybe an optional "foot-feed" accelerator pedal.

To be clear, I don't know for sure that these boards are factory originals. I'll give them a good inspection and gentle cleaning when they arrive and will try to find out if they are originals. Granted, I'm by no stretch of the imagination, an expert on Model T's, but after a few decades of collecting antiques in their original finishes, I've gotten pretty good at spotting it.

What I do know is that they were collected a long time ago, already in this old, weathered condition and appear to have the original metals parts and rivets intact.

They have some beautiful wear on them that will match what I'm trying to achieve with my 24 Touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 08:52 am:

Sorry to have hijacked your thread Mark.

I'm am waiting, like a kid at Christmas, for these floorboards to arrive and will check for any markings on the back.

Which floorboard section was the Simplex marking on?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 08:56 am:

Thanks Hap...for the info on the hole.

One of the things I love about Model T's is that I learn something new about them nearly every day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 09:50 am:

I always use the hole to pull up the floorboards. The photo Don posted is the 1925 version with the draft deflector.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jesse L. Ashcraft on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 10:40 am:

>>>We have original Ford documentation that for the time frame of 12/23/15 to 9/6/19 outside body makers for the open cars also supplied floorboards with the bodies.<<<

Interesting read Hap. This stuff is like an Easter egg hunt for me. The bottom of my September 1913 assembled '14 (I and others are skeptical of this engine being the original) touring cockpit floorboard is stamped: X F.B.Co. (Fischer Body Co. maybe? Floor Board Co.?) although I have the Beaudette "B" on the back seat kick plate.

(Message edited by jesselashcraft on September 04, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 11:00 am:

As far as the whole packing crates into floorboards legend, there is actually some truth to the story, just not what the story has evolved into: the facts are that, once Ford started taking in used cars (of all makes) from their dealers in the late '20s for recycling at the Rouge, it's well documented by Ford that the cars' floorboards were recycled into shipping crates in the Rouge wood shops.

So the truth is actually the reverse of the legend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 01:14 am:

I wonder if Simplex Mfg Co. (not Simplex Automobile Co.) made aftermarket floorboards for the Model T?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 06:11 am:

To keep the original patina what (chemical) would one use to clean the dirt or unwanted material from the wood and after cleaning it what would you use to maintain this patina?

Probably Warm Soap and Water applied with Elbow Grease. I try and dry the wood fairly soon too.

I have also used a wipe over with turpentine, it is not too aggressive and can give a 'soft glow'. A thin application of 'Danish Oil' also provides protection. It is best wiped on with a rag.

In cases where I need to touch up paint, I apply a close match colour with a rag, wiping it on so it does not look 'painted' against the old patina still there.

I would avoid 'chemicals' as you may find the paint disappears.....

End of the day, if it works for you, then it works!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 09:05 pm:

Jesse,

The "B" on the back seat heel panel would indicate a body produced by Beaudett unless the panel had been replaced sometime in the past.

I am fairly certain that the F.B. CO. or F.B.Co. does NOT stand for Floor Board Company.

Why? Because those letters are also stamped onto bodies and body parts. And we don’t have any record of a Floor Board Company supplying bodies to Ford. If anyone does know of any references, please let us know.

I found photos of two cars that have F.B.CO. stamped into their body wood. Both are 1912 tourings. Note back when those threads were posted I did NOT know it was Fisher Body Company – but we thought it was likely. Now I am fairly certain that it does stand for Fisher Body Company.

Greg Sarky on his 1912 Touring see: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/279411.html?1333367361

Olivier Chambanne on his 1912 Touring see:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/210104.html

Note apparently by 1913 Fisher started using just an “F” in front of their body number.
I thought I had seen an F.B.Co. on a Centerdoor – but the one photo I found had Fisher Body Company Detroit spelled out (1918 Centerdoor from memory) along with a body number. How do we know it is not “F” for FORD? Ford USA did not start producing their own bodies until late 1915ish or so. (ref my memory of an e-mail or posting by Trent. If anyone wants the details – I’ll try to look them up.)

If anyone has additional F.B.Co. or F.B.CO. stamped on a body, please let us know and on what type of body and year etc. Thanks.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 10:20 pm:

Not mine Mark. No marks whatsoever.
18 with original toe boards but likely a replacement floor board.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration