Carburetor Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Carburetor Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe gallagher on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 07:31 pm:

I am working on my Ford NH carburetor from my 27 Coupe and after removing the needle and brass seat I do not find a washer or tiny gasket under the brass seat fitting did the Ford Co. not use one as this could be the first time this carburetor has been apart ... I have been using a dental pick to try picking one out of the bore but no soap so far ?? .... Thanks for any help.... Joe joeg48@hotmail.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 07:44 pm:

I would think they would have had a gasket of some sort in there. Every one I have taken apart has had a gasket. Its entirely possible that years of exposure to fuel has disintegrated it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 08:49 pm:

Joe,
6200NH is the gasket set from vendor L. I will be purchasing this kit along with other parts this week.
Vern

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 09:20 pm:

You guys know the drill about these gaskets. :-)
Remember that many of the guys here think the new seat gaskets are too hard to conform to the casting in the carb. They're likely correct.
They're hard paper/fiber I 'spect.
I wonder if they could be soaked in something for a bunch of days to soften them slightly...
Another fellow here suggests a severely flattened lead tire weight stamped out with punches (or whatever your imagination can come up with to make a gasket) to suit and using that as the gasket. The idea is very good.
I've never replaced a seat and that gasket so I really don't know about it, other than I'm lucky that I've been able to use the old parts in the carbs.
With some clean-up of course. :-)
Keep us updated if you would Joe. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 10:06 pm:

I did the lead sheeting trick to make a gasket, slick! No leaks so far. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe gallagher on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 07:54 pm:

This is Joe again ..I got the seat gasket out ... soaked it with Zep Penetrating oil ( this oil has never failed me ) for a couple of days then twisted a 3/8 end mill over the face of the gasket and I was able to pull it out with a dental pick ...Thanks for all the help ...Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 08:46 pm:

Check the surface behind the gasket. If it's rough you may get leaking around the gasket. The cure is a sandpaper disk glued on the end of a dowel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 10:49 pm:

Or that 3/8" end mill... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe gallagher on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 08:46 pm:

Thanks Steve ... I used the sandpaper on the end of a dowel trick and it cleaned up the gasket surface real nice ... Thanks again ....Joe

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration