OT* Very early Ford repair picture*

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT* Very early Ford repair picture*
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 05:43 am:

You Ford detail gurus look close at this picture, a new Model N with a bad rear axle. The caption on the Ford pic says ''Mr. Shirk, the oldest Ford mechanic, 78 years old'' at the Ephrata, Pa Ford dealer. circa 1908. This guy was born about 1830! An excellent photo of the jack and an early oil can.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 06:02 am:

I wish I could look that good at 78 years old!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 06:08 am:

clean living and no stress....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 08:07 am:

Frank, I just pray that I MAKE IT to 78 years old!
I love old pics like this, thanks Gary. Just think, this guy went from probably shoe-ing horses as a young man to a "master mechanic" all in one lifetime. I'm just in awe at the progress this country saw from the late 1800's to the early 1900's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 08:15 am:

Great photo. Tried to flip it, but despite attempts it always uploaded like the first :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Lingg - Tarboro, NC on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 08:44 am:

I cropped one edge

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 09:17 am:

Love the picture and the way the tools are lain out

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 09:51 am:

I've seen most of the tools and jacks before but not the oil can.
Is that a Ford oil can or just a general type for the era.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 10:11 am:

I'm betting Mr. Shirk isn't 78 in that photo or else it wouldn't be necessary to mark it as "circa". Probably something like it was marked-up in the 1940's to celebrate the man that's now 78 and that's a photo of him from about 1908.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 10:46 am:

Walter I have to agree, that guy is no where near 78 in the photo.
Neat photo. Some lathe in the back ground!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 11:14 am:

I agree the photo doesn't have the right color for a 1910ish photo. It is a sepia tone photo from a later date made to look old. It was 'antiqued"
Do you agree?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 11:28 am:

If Mr. Shirk is 78 in that photo I'd like to have some of whatever he drinks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 11:48 am:

No grey hair . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 01:37 pm:

Perhaps some axle greasy formula on the hair to prevent early retirement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 01:53 pm:

Or maybe Shinola!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 06:11 pm:

Great photo. Without a little more of the car to see, it is difficult to tell if it is a Model N Runabout or Model S Runabout. The very early 1906 to early 1907 Model N Runabout bodies were a little smaller but the later 1907 to 1908 N Runabout and S Runabout bodies are the same.

They both have the pointed rear deck while the Model R has the rounded rear deck.

With the rear fenders removed and not being able to see if it had a running board bracket or a step plate -- it could be either body style.

The both used the smaller 28 x 3 clincher tires.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 06:59 pm:

It looks like 2 oil cans. I've never seen the tall can with the 2 reinforcing ribs made around the sides. He's using a packing crate for a work stand, not a ratchet or socket in sight, only open end wrenches and a machinist's hammer. The rear axle looks spotless, like it's off a new car. The body varnish looks real good also. I believe it is a period photo. I scanned it from a Ford calendar I've had for 25+ years. That's why the sepia color showed up.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration