Acetylene Headlight Adjustment

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Acetylene Headlight Adjustment
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 01:55 pm:

E and J headlights on a 1914. The burner sits on an adjustable base where it can slide away from or towards the reflector. What position in this range is the best for the best possible light?

I'm trying to get it ready for the OCF Gaslight Parade.

Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 02:27 pm:

Light it off and slide the burner back and forth to the position you like the beam the best!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco - Winchester Va. on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 04:28 pm:

Also, make sure the "V" burner has the legs of the V running in line with the headlamp, not across...that gives the widest flame to reflect the most light...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 05:45 pm:

Marty,

I have the center-line of the burner pipe set about 1-1/8" in front of the "ground" lead edge of the Mangin mirror. That should get you close. Some of the mirrors are a little different but the actual flame will be farther than that from the center of the mirror.

I back down the driveway about 50 feet and focus them on the garage door after it is dark. You will see the fishtail shape of the flame flipped upside down on the door when it is in focus doing what Layden suggests.

To set the height, go "up" with the burner flame to go "down" in front of the car or vice-versa if it's too low. I try to hit the bottom of the garage door with the flat shape (top) of the flame at 50 feet.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 10:27 pm:

I read my post again after edit time was up. I was agreeing with Layden's suggestion to tweak the focus by sliding the burner back and forth just a little. The Mangin mirror flips the image.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 05:21 pm:

Thanks, guys. This really helps. I'll give the garage door test a try.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration