OT: Kotton Klenser

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT: Kotton Klenser
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 07:37 pm:

Has anybody ever used Kotton Kleanser for metal to clean an Edison phonograph bed plate? Will it damage the paint or stenceling?

Thanks,
Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 04:07 pm:

Bump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 05:13 pm:

might want to read this:

http://victrolagramophones.proboards.com/thread/1118/kotton-klenser

I have used the product on wood. It did what it was advertised to do and I was happy with the results. Never used it on shellacked bedplates so have no advice for you other than to say there are very mild polishes that will do a very nice job on bedplates without risking softened finish.

GK-10 - non-embedding garnet
38-1200 - aluminum oxide
#1/4 or #1 diamond lapping compound

any of those 3 will give different levels of polish/material removal and MAY do what you want. I am not endorsing any of them for your project, but have used each very successfully professionally and in hobby work doing similar to what you are attempting to accomplish.

Try on a spot that is unnoticeable and see if you like the results if you go this route. None of them are solvents, unlike Kotton Kleanser which to some extent acts as a solvent.

Good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 06:55 am:

Takes decals off in an instant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 10:25 am:

When I hear bed plate I think of something metal? If it is metal would not the finish be baked on? Is there shellac over the decals?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 10:47 am:

Mark

you're right...it's metal. And the 1/2 dozen or so that I've restored, all early models, the decorating was hand painted. Therefor I took no solvent to it and only polished gently. Chips can be repaired with black shellac puddled in and worked flat with fine sandpaper (followed by polishing). If you tint the shellac dark enough, the repair is essentially invisible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 11:31 am:

Thanks, good info. By time Edison made my Diamond Disk there wasn't much in the way of extra decoration, the case was the art!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 12:09 pm:

Stephen,

I use automotive rubbing compound, the finest grade you can get, then follow up with car polish. Yes, you have to go very lightly over the striping. With each stroke I take note of the stripe to see if it's begun to diminish in the least.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 10:45 pm:

I've used go jo hand cleaner without pumice before and it worked surprisingly well. The bedplate on my home model a has a spot where the shellac was eaten off by oil dripping on it. The damaged spot is white and very visable. Is there anyway to repair it? Also, there are several places where the paint is missing. I have the proper Japan black paint I can repair it with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 08:48 pm:

Stephen,

I have repaired those spots using the finishing compound I describe above.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 09:00 pm:

If you need to remove dirt, wax, grease or oil prior to using any type of rubbing/polishing compound and/or applying wax:

Mineral spirits/paint thinner can be safely used to clean shellac - it will not hurt the shellac. (Alcohol is the solvent that is used in shellac and will soften/dissolve shellac.)

Also, in my experience, mineral spirits/paint thinner can be safely used to clean unbaked gilsonite paint and baked gilsonite paint (Japan black).

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration