CARBURETOR CONTROL ARM MYSTERY

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: CARBURETOR CONTROL ARM MYSTERY
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 09:05 pm:

Ok, Here's one for the experts. The carburetor control arm on the left is a standard early one with two holes. So what do we have on the right? They are all the later single hole variety. I was getting ready to make some new ones and noticed i had three different lengths. The one in the center is the most common, but what were the shorter one and longer ones used for? Please give me your opinion

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 09:32 pm:

Glen,
Saturday I disassembled a Kingston L4 and a Holley NH, noticing that the throttle arms were different lengths. My non-expert guess is that the control arm length needs to match somehow the lengths on the throttle lever, depending on what carburetor is installed.
Vern

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 09:39 pm:

Vern, That's a very good theory but i don't believe the answer. Ford would not have put that kind of restraint on production. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Monday, September 04, 2017 - 10:15 pm:

I've got this one that's 1 7/8" overall. I can't remember what column I took it off of but seems like it is longer than usual.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 10:35 am:

1 7/8 is the common length. The long one is 1 1/8

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 10:38 am:

I have the steering column out of my '13 now, and am willing to measure it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 11:02 am:

Perhaps relevant ? I changed the Holley "2-screw" on my '13 for a "G" and found the throttle rod to be a wee bit long now. Isn't that a Dodge Bros. forging mark on one ? Would that indicate it's an earlier make than some of the others ?

Larry, I could measure the OAL on mine if a comparison would be helpful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Syverson on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 12:30 pm:

I'm confused! They all have two holes. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 01:58 pm:

The longer arm is for the Vaporizer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 02:31 pm:

I'm confused too. I was trying to figure out which one is in the "center". :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 02:39 pm:

The holes he is talking about are the holes for the pins that secure the arm to the rod. The early arms had 2 pins and the later had 1 pin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 02:42 pm:

The center one in the group of three on the right

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 03:07 pm:

I'll be your "straight man" Ray ! Some have one rivet through the column lever, some have two rivets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 03:46 pm:

The early ones have two rivets. The later ones have one rivet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 04:08 pm:

Why doesn't someone go to the Archives and do the necessary research instead of all this feeling around in the dark?
The early factory number is T-947. Get the latest print and a copy of the Record of Change Cards for that part number and track all the changes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 05:50 pm:

I just checked the one I had pictured against 5 others and they are all the same, one or 2 pin style. I remember now somebody had that on the spark lever and it was a lot longer than those.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 06:29 pm:

Great idea Ron, Might be some of us that have never done that and would really like to know how.

Can we just goggle FMC Archives?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 12:50 am:

I'll check it next week when I'm there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 12:52 am:

Just a guess, but I'd say the late arms changed more, because the early ones had a threaded adjustment on the end of the rod.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 05:41 am:

If it's any help, the superimposed HC forge mark is more common on 1915-16 stuff out here. The D with the F inside is later again.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 09:26 am:

Larry, Thanks for researching this for us. I know you'll get it right!

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 09:44 am:

Anyone brave enough to ask the same question on the timer lever?? Alan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 01:42 pm:

The Ford Motor Company archives can be googled by entering in 'Ford Motor Compamy Archives'. Don't know if it has the tech details and changes for T's. Didn't try it. If they could be I would think others would already doing it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 02:23 pm:

Alan, To my knowledge there were 2 timer levers, the early one with the bent angled eye and the later straight one. both were short

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 02:27 pm:

My thanks to the "purists" who make the time and the effort to research the sources. I will never be that far east with time to spend in that way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 11:15 am:

Larry Smith
I tried call you, but suspect you have already left for Dearborn. Hopefully you will see this?
If you going to do the research on factory # T-947 Throttle Rod Levers attached is the information (from Bruce's book)you will need to start research the subject item.
Notice there are eight different changes/dates to the factory # T-947 throttle Rod Lever print. These will be shown on the ROC cards for the part.
You will look at each dated print to see what changed.
AND you will have to look at factory # T-5003 (steering column) Throttle Rod. The end of the rod may have changes to accommodate the changes to part # T-947 Throttle Rod Lever.
This information may help to resolve the mystery about why so many different levers seem to exist and shown at the beginning of this thread?
Ron Patterson

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration