Shorpy Photo, Ford Associated?.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Shorpy Photo, Ford Associated?.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 06:03 am:

This photo has just appeared on Shorpy. Is the 'Ford Collieries' mentioned, Ford as in Henry? If the photo is 1910, it seems a bit early to be part of the Ford Motor Company.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 10:17 am:

Probably not related.
There were a number of people that jumped on the Ford name once it became popular- the down right awful Minnesota based "Ford" tractor is probably the best example of someone glomming on to Henry's moniker to make a quick profit.
More likey just a company owned by a fella with the same last name.
Here's a FoMoCo. brochure for their factory mines in West Virginia

http://www.cimorelli.com/mtdl/1920/1920fordcoal.pdf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 10:19 am:

Oh, AND Kentucky!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 11:18 am:

Ford dominated automobile manufacture by 1906. Not too early in 1910, I'd think, to have secured access to the massive amounts of fuel future production would require. Couldn't find the Shorpy photo though . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 11:26 am:

Here it is;
http://www.shorpy.com/node/22465?size=_original#caption

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 11:27 am:

Ford wasn't shy about self promotion. I would guess the FORD logo would be present somewhere if it were a Ford Motor Co. enterprise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 12:10 pm:

The reason Ford called his tractor the "Fordson" (Henry FORD & SON), was because there was a company in Minnesota that trademarked the name in 1915, so even at that late date there were still companies able to use it without any real connection to Ford Motor Co.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 12:33 pm:

The definition of a "collieries", is a coal mine and all its associated buildings.

It is well known that in the early days of FOMOCO, that Henry owned his own coal production; iron ore production, timber production, and possibly others. He even tried an ill-fated attempt at rubber production in South America so he could control the cost of rubber used in the tires he used.

Because this operation seems to be so "small scale", I would tend to think that Henry's collieries would have been on a larger scale, but I've been wrong many times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 12:44 pm:

Not only is it small scale and a bit ramshackle. But as Jerry said, Henry wasnt shy about self promotion and you mean to tell me Ford wouldnt have had "F-O-R-D" put up on those 4 smokestacks???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 12:50 pm:

I agree with Jerry. It doesn't appear to be a Ford Motor holding.

https://books.google.com/books?id=T2k3AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA420&dq=Ford+Collieries+,+Det roit,+MI&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjtq5m3v47WAhVn64MKHYMiCaoQ6AEIKDAA#v=onepage&q=Fo rd%20Collieries%20%2C%20Detroit%2C%20MI&f=false

One of the volumes of the History of Detroit notes the Ford Colleries treasurer whose first name is Ford who is also associated with a Michigan Alkali company. He came from the Allegheny area.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration