Mystery Hole in Dashboard: 1923 runabout

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Mystery Hole in Dashboard: 1923 runabout
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 02:32 pm:

I have this hole on the left side of my dashboard. Any typical uses come to mind? Maybe wiring for a spot light?

hole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 03:27 pm:

My guess is someone drilled the hole to install some sort of toggle switch or headlight switch to serve as a battery disconnect. Looks suspiciously like the one that used to be in my dash before it was welded up and repainted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 04:49 pm:

That's the same place somebody placed a push-pull switch for the ditch lamp on Nellie, the '23 cut-off. Easy to reach and short run of wire to the terminal block too for the lamp.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 05:00 pm:

Interesting that the hole is in almost the exact same location. Funny ... we just decided to name our '23 runabout Nellie, after our beloved cat Nellie who died a couple of months ago. She was 18. I also have an original wood pickup bed on hold for the '23. So, your T has a cousin in New York state. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 05:49 pm:

Dan
The tool box that has a pad lock on it looks almost identical to one that I have. It came of a 9n Ford tractor that my Father use to have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 06:10 pm:

While we are guessing, how bout a starter button,50s style.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 06:13 pm:

I have an identical hole in the same position on my 24 Touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 06:27 pm:

As a short term solution, tape over the back of the hole and fill the hole with black RTV. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 06:35 pm:

I have the same hole in my '25 runabout's instrument panel. With this many cars, it must be a factory hole. Early cigarette lighter I'm guessing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 08:27 pm:

OT Mine is named Nelly after my Grandmother who learned to drive in a Model T cut off PU.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 11:34 pm:

I'm no help Mark. No hole in the dash in the 24 here.
You guys with the 23's really don't have the column support on the dash. Sorry, that's what my head saw.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 12:39 am:

Fill the hole. It doesn't belong there! I just had 13 non original holes welded up on my '13 frame. Thank God you only have one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 06:14 am:

That hole is for the button of a second horn that was mounted somewhere in the rear of the vehicle. It is placed there to startle the passenger(s).

At least that's what mine was connected to. I had to patch the hole in the rear floor under the back seat as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 07:15 am:

I'm thinking that if I install a vintage spot light I'll put a rubber grommet in that hole and run the wire through there. It will be useful, look intentional ... and be nicely installed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 09:20 am:

Dan... I'm jealous of your 'Glove box'... I've been looking for similar... ended up with a Wells Fargo leather/canvas bank bag... but is too wide to fit between the wall and brake arm. I'll have to make a leather one like yours!

Also... what's the rack for, fore of your running board toolbox? Boots??

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration