26/27 engine question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 26/27 engine question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 02:48 pm:

The picture that Dan Treace posted ("Dan Treace, please see.....") of his beautifully painted gray & red engine really brought home to me how much Ford changed in order to make the engine/transmission joint more rigid.

Now, the $64k question: Is crankshaft breakage any less common on the 26/27 engines ?

I've always felt that eccentric loads on the crankshaft flange due to flexing between engine and trans were a primary cause of breakage. Ford must have thought so, too. But did the change help any ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 03:22 pm:

As I recall this has been rehashed a couple of times, and the consensus is that the throws are beefier on the EE stamped cranks usually found in Improved car engines. The steel composition is different than the earlier engines as well. Does that make them better than the diamond throw cranks? Some folks in the hobby seems to think so. I still prefer a new SCAT if the wallet is full enough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 04:19 pm:

Kevin said, " and the consensus is that the throws are beefier on the EE stamped cranks usually found in Improved car engines"

Unfortunately that's the problem with changing two things at once. If there's a change, you never know for sure what caused it. And the statistical sample size for EE cranks in early engines (and diamond throw cranks in improved engines) is probably too small to draw any conclusions.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration