Original 1923 Floorboard pictures

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Original 1923 Floorboard pictures
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 02:49 pm:

I'm starting a new thread so that others can post images of their floorboards. These came with my 1923 runabout and are marked "Simplex Mfg Co. Kansas City" on the upper most board. What's interesting is the "bread-boarding" along the outer edges of all the boards to prevent splitting. The boards are 9/16" thick.

FB1

FB2

FB3

FB4

FB5

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 06:38 pm:

I just got a set of original floorboards given to me and I was glad to get them. I'll use them for patterns. All the metal plates were attached. Got lucky that day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 08:30 pm:

Could you please post them here. Would be nice to have a nice collection of pictures for reference. Are yours breadboarded on the ends like the ones pictured above?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 12:45 am:

It would be so cool if Russ Furstnow see's those! The judging guide lines are incorrect! Only the tabs are bent over. In 1925 they added a draft deflector, which requires four semi-tubular rivets, posted earlier this week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 08:10 am:

My partial set of originals will arrive via UPS on Friday. I'll post photos of them when they do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 10:55 am:

Here's a look at the imprint on the boards from my '13 runabout.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 12:53 pm:

You can really see the planer marks on the back. Are the edges breadboarded with a spline?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 02:31 pm:

Original floor boards in my '24 touring. As made from the supplier to the Ford assembly branch.

This set is marked with stamp in the edge, "Mengle Co, Louisville KY"

The main board cleats were a tad loose, so I added round headed nails from above to make them more secure. The originals are nailed with smaller head nails from the underside.

The metal plate tabs are used to hold the plates to the slots, no screws. The deflector on the upper board is riveted, with tubular rivets, in 4 places to the upper plate.

Stamped marking, kinda hard to read except by eyeball.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john hardiman on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 02:38 pm:

Where would you get the oval shaped banding around the brake lever? Did all years come with one?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 02:52 pm:

Mark, these "F.B.Co." boards are not splined. They are made from ash, the pedal slots were cut rather crudely on a table saw, which made me think they were re-done clumsily in a restoration. The planks are 5/8" thick, as opposed to those notes indicating they should be 9/16". Probably as good a time as any to note that the pedal and lever surrounds are heavy, with no return edges into the openings in the wood. They are held on with round-headed wood screws.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 02:56 pm:

John

The vendors can supply you with metal plates, and ones for the brake lever. The Improved Car, '26-'27 brake lever plate is an angled one, as it covers two of the floor boards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 02:56 pm:

Dan,

For what it is worth as spurious trivia, Mengle Co of Louisville became part of Mead Corporation and the Mead Containers (brown corrugated boxes) actually bought their Louisville factory building FROM Ford...what was the Louisville Assembly Building!

Small world.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 02:57 pm:

Here's a pic of the lower toe-board and the iron. It was broken where pedal relief is thinnest. The floor was split out on the outside edge of the control lever slot, so I replaced those two pieces.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 03:02 pm:

For those who have heard, "Ford use wooden parts crates to make the floorboards in the Model T", take note of the individual part numbers for the various pieces of wood that make up the floorboards.

Photo is a Fordor floorboard set, '26-'27.

And this letter from the office of Edsel Ford, 1922.

Used with permission, from the collections of The Henry Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 03:09 pm:

What years were the sheet metal deflectors
used as original equipment?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 03:38 pm:

Mark, my '25 "mostly" original coupe has one. Don't know if it came that way or not, but it looks to be original. Dave

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration