Corn in the head

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Corn in the head
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Bente on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 08:07 pm:

I pulled the head off a 1921 and found corn kernels. What is this about and possible problems with corn in the water journals in the block? Problems with the picture, but I was able to dump out about 50 hard kernels.
r/s Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 08:12 pm:

Old ethanol?

Seriously, small rodents will do that. You might find anything they're capable of transporting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 08:12 pm:

Sounds like the mice have been busy. Better take it apart the rest of the way and get them all out. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 08:13 pm:

Mice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 08:16 pm:

I have pulled engines down with the blocks full of corn and the head packed full with nest and dead rodents, nuts are another good one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 08:19 pm:

We had eight walnuts in the cylinder head of the '14 Depot Hack and after about 5,000 miles, found another three.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Bente on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 08:35 pm:

I think they will swell when soaked in hot water. This engine has been run once in 10 years as per previous owner. How would one get rid of corn kernels in the block, with out removing engine. All advice is welcome, serious and in mirth.
I do have have a sense of humor!

r/s Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 08:42 pm:

When we went to Alaska the air cleaner cavity on our buick was filled with corn.Soon it will be time to start burning corn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 08:45 pm:

Shop vac in the plug holes if the kernels are hard and dry. Or pull head, drop inspection plate and valve cover if you think they swelled and are jammed in there. Probably best way to go in order to get the coolant passages.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 08:48 pm:

I would remove the inlet on the side and run water from a garden hose both ways, from the top and out the side and into the side inlet and up through the engine.
If some kernels don't get flushed out it should not hurt anything.
Put in some quick flush or soluble oil so the kernels don't swell and sprout.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 08:53 pm:

Better check the rest of the engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 08:55 pm:

The Model T engine is a natural mouse storage container, lots of places in the water jacket, but those little tailed critters really like using the valve chamber as a pantry!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Maciej on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 10:43 am:

Had cobs of popcorn stored in the ceiling stringers in the machine shed over winter. The corn was disappearing and wasn't found until I started the engine. Popped corn came out of the tailpipe. The mice were using the muffler for a storage warehouse. (first hot air popper?) Ray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 10:56 am:

I saw a black snake under my 26 Buick yesterday, he was just finishing off his meal so I quietly backed away. There are always 1 or 2 around and I usually don't have a problem with them (the Mice) getting into the garage.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration