1921 body metal measurements

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1921 body metal measurements
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Bente on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 08:19 pm:

I bought a rolling chassis with a wood kit and almost all new body metal. It's a 1921 Touring in which the previous owner had never assembled, and perhaps the owner before. No old wood. I've determined the new fire wall, which is installed, is a high one and the 3 leaf springs on the front that were added to match the fire wall are wrong. My question is, how can I determine the rest of the sheet metal is correct? The hood is right for the low radiator, but unsure about the rest of the pile. I'm still trying for he pictures.
r/s Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 08:42 pm:

If you are talking about the axle spring, that has nothing to do with which fire wall you have. If your cowl matches the fire wall, you are setup for the high radiator not the low radiator and hood. The cowls are different between the low and high cars. Sounds like you are trying to put a high type body(1924-1925 style) on to a low radiator (1917-1923 style) car.
The on line T parts catalog have a good selection of body sheet metal, while not complete there are lots of photos and some descriptions. The printed catalogs are much better.
Hope you get some photos up soon they will be of great help.
FWIW; you don,t have to retype and post your message, just type something BTT (short for Back to top) in the message box and click reply and it will move the string back to top. Also try and keep only one string going covering this subject, such as if you add photos add them to this one don't start a new one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Bente on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 09:10 pm:

Mark, copy your msg. I think they added spring leafs, 3 for a total of 10, on the front axle to match the later high wall cowl.My plan is to purchase the low fire wall/ wood fire wall, take out 3 spring leafs. I realize that pictures are a 1000 words. I have a pile up of parts that I want to drive and enjoy.
I drive all my cars, 1916 runabout, 1929 Ford coupe, 1930 Chevy stovebolt 6, and CJ5 weekly. I would like to add 1921 Ford Touring.
r/s Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 09:21 pm:

Robert,

Your profile has a 1916 Runabout listed. From the front doors forward the sheet metal for an early 1921 is the same as your 1916. Around the 1921 time frame Ford changed the bodies to have a more narrow arm rest. They also changed the bead on the body. It is still the same general size as the earlier panel. It can be interchanged but the bead will NOT be correct.

Recommend you have someone with a 1920-21 touring stop by and compare the pieces and/or take a truck and move the pieces to the car.

The 1924-25 front panels will NOT interchange well with the earlier panels. But the rear tub will fit but the molding is not correct/will not match, the arm rest is narrow, and the top rest is mounted through the body rather than coming down from the top of the back seat, and it has only 3 panels rather than the 5 the earlier back seat has.

I need to quit for the night but if you google 1920, 1923, 1924 touring Hap site:mtfca.com you will find a lot of illustrations comparing the parts such as the ones below:

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 10:34 pm:

The basic front springs for open cars are the same high or low cowl cars 1908 to 1925. The springs don't change anything, except with three extra leafs the front is now stiffer and a little taller but is not needed. You could even use that same spring for 1926-27 but would change the height a little.
Hap's info is a good starting place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 07:23 am:

Robert,

The posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/32458.html has a good discussion and photos of the difference between the 1915-1920ish touring panels and the 1921ish - 1925 touring panels.

Posting at:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/7861.html
towards the bottom has a good graph with dimensions of the 1915-1921ish front seat heel panel (note the runabout/roadster used the same front seat heel panel but they apparently continued the older style longer).

Also below is the cowl photo with the caption added.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration