Grandpa's 1910 Touring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Grandpa's 1910 Touring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe caraway on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 12:35 am:

My grandfather, Jeff Caraway, found this car in 1966 in Midlothian, Illinois. At the time, it was owned by John Gayduk who purchased it in 1938 when he was 18 years old. Mr. Gayduk enjoyed sharing the car with friends and family, often transporting newlyweds in Model T style. When my grandfather purchased it, it was completely disassembled and in boxes in a cellar. He brought the car home to Kankakee, Illinois and spent 3 years reassembling the car, bringing it back to as original condition as possible including the original open-valve engine. He showed the car and won countless awards. It was featured in Model T Times magazine in December 1972. He sold it in 1978. With the VIN #32595 in hand, I hired a private investigator who located the car in Massachusetts. The current owners had cherished the car for almost 30 years. But after hearing the history of the car, they decided that it would be best for the car to be back in our family.

Out of storage. Best In Show.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe caraway on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 12:45 am:

Touring #32595 Midlothian, Illinois. Circa 1940.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 12:56 am:

Great story! May your family have it for many generations to come!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 04:49 am:

Mine is engine # is 33435 and the history unknown after the engine left Detroit headed for Canada. What a great story Joe

Alan in Western Australia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 08:27 am:

Joe, how neat is that, if not even lucky! Good for you getting the car back in the family. It's beautiful. So is Scottsdale...I love that town.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe caraway on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 11:28 pm:

Notice the accessory shocks. They are still on the car today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe caraway on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 11:32 pm:

Touring #32595 Circa 1940, Southside of Chicago

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe caraway on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 11:47 pm:

Touring #32595 Circa 1940, Chicago, IL.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe caraway on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 11:55 pm:

Mr. Gayduk enjoyed sharing his car with friends and family. He is pictured transporting several newlywed couples. Circa late 1930s.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 12:21 am:

Quite a story. -Glad it worked out the way it did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe caraway on Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 12:27 am:

Another wedding party. Circa late 1930's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 05:34 am:

Great story!
Wander what happened to that little horn?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 06:24 am:

Can't see the switch on the Coil box ( what make of box?)and is the windscreen upside down with the higher Section on top? Can it fold down and still miss the steering wheel? Great photos keep em coming
Alan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 06:45 am:

great story and a great car

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 08:09 am:

Ditto all the sentiments.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 09:16 am:

Not to be TOO nit-picky, but those 1940 and late-30's pics are from 1949 or later, judging by the other cars shown. :-)

Still, it's wonderful to have those pics showing the history of the car, regardless of what year they were taken.

(Message edited by coupelet on September 07, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe caraway on Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 01:48 pm:

Wedding celebrations were the main events!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe caraway on Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 01:50 pm:

One last wedding pic. This one actually made it into the Chicago Tribune. Although they got the year of the car wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe caraway on Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 01:52 pm:

Another vintage pic. Circa 1940(ish).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 03:05 pm:

Dos this T have the original straight axles and correct hubs? It was produced in late 1910 and falls within the 1911 model year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 03:21 pm:

It is a November 2 or 3 1910T and may have or have had a tapered rear axles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 05:58 pm:

The old photos of this "1910" resembles my May 0f 1910 T. I even have left the hood with out paint. The red paint is their choice, but it would look very nice in brewster green. I enjoy any of the 1909 thru 1912 Model T Fords, of course the 1910 Tourings are a favorite. The 1913-15 are also nice when equipped with original engines.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 06:25 pm:

Great story. Congrats on getting the car back to your family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 06:38 pm:

Great pics! Thanks for posting...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 07:43 pm:

Joe,

You have the history - images - title chosen for a GREAT coffee table book.

If you want - I will put you in touch with John who published a Model T book a few years ago - send me a PM or give me a call.

FreighTer Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe caraway on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 10:27 am:

I thought these might be of some interest. I received these from the Henry Ford Museum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe caraway on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 10:29 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 12:01 pm:

The form includes, in addition to standard 56" and southern 60" tread, a 48" option. What was that? Also, did they really rate the paint job as "fair"? On a scale from what to what?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 02:51 pm:

Joe,

I received by my car's (1911 touring) paperwork last week from the Henry Ford and I believe Mr. Spengler is the foreman who signed off my car. Carl's build date is May 11, 1911 with it being shipped on May 13th, 1911.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Seress, Prescott Az. on Saturday, September 09, 2017 - 05:34 pm:

Hello Joe, As I told you many times, I love your car. That car was beautiful when you got it and now with all the work you put into it, it is absolutely magnificent. When i finish mine I might get one like it, right Lol. Frank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Saturday, September 09, 2017 - 08:57 pm:

I bought the build sheet for my 1909 Touring. With it came an explanation of the various terms used and one suggestion is the 48" track it was used for rail applications.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration