Instructions for installing Waukesha Ricardo Heads

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Instructions for installing Waukesha Ricardo Heads
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 11:09 am:

Waukesha Ricardo Heads require between one half and two thirds of the spark advance required with the old heads. DO NOT GIVE THEM MORE.
Place this stop on the spark control, or set spark lever so the driver can not use the same advance as with the old heads. A little care to this point will insure satisfaction.
Shellac gasket carefully to the face of the cylinder head before placing head on motor. Center the gasket carefully with relation to the bolt holes and let it dry thoroughly. Apply thin coat of grease to the bottom face of gasket after it has been shellacked to the cylinder head.
Clean carbon and dirt out of bottoms of holes for the cylinder head cap screws in the cylinder block. These holes are very shallow and the cylinder head screws are apt to strike the bottom of the holes. This prevents clamping the head firmly and will result in heating due to explosion pressure forcing hot gasses into the cooling water.
Note: This information is from a NOS tag that is attached to his NOS head in the original box that belongs to a friend of mine.
BTW, the head I purchased a week ago is on its way back to the guy I purchased it from. The head had a crack on top from the front to the back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 11:19 am:

thanks for the interesting historical info

sorry to hear about the bad head..was this the "expensive" head I read about on another thread?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 11:20 am:

just did a little research...looks like this was the expensive one...BUMMER

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 11:36 am:

At least the seller, Jeff Randolph, said he stands behind everything he sells and will make it right. No telling who will bear the cost of shipping. If Tim Morsher was right about the Rajo head that he looked at before Mr. Randolph bought the pile. (said it was cracked and/or repaired poorly), Mr. Randolph may have bought a "Pig in the Poke".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 08:27 pm:

Very interesting info from that tag!
Thank you for posting it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 08:39 pm:

Good info..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 10:22 pm:

Howdy Larry, Would it be possible to share A photo of that original tag here for those of us who have a Ricardo head?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 10:41 pm:

Larry, I second Jays request for a photo of the tag. I have never seen a tag, and it would be nice to have a picture of one to go with my head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rodell, Sr.- Wisconsin on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 11:33 pm:

Larry, If you take a photo of the tag, could you also take some photos of the NOS head and the original box. My Waukesha Ricardo head is painted red with an orange tinge. It would be interesting to see what the original color is on the NOS head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 09:59 am:

Jim: The owner has already put it away, but you are correct. The head was painted a kind of orange color, sorta like Rustoleum primer. The tag was red, and rather hard to read.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration