21" Tires: Firestone or Universals???

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 21" Tires: Firestone or Universals???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 12:05 pm:

The title says it all. What have your experiences been? Which brand would you recommend? Firestones are about $150, Universals about $100. Any one seem to wear better than the other?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 12:09 pm:

Well, given all the troubles I've read from flats without flaps that seemed to be all Firestones, my friend included, I'd go with the Universals. I have them on my car and they seem to do okay. Not the best wearing, but not bad either. Just my two cents.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 12:10 pm:

BTW...I don't have a single flap on any of my 3 cars, fwiw.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mosher on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 12:22 pm:

I've been using Firestones for years never had a problem.
I was told by one of the vendors that the 21in is the only size still made in the USA. that's one of the reasons I buy them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Kile ....San Jose CA on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 01:15 pm:

I have Firestone on all three of my cars. Summit Racing sometimes has them for $99 with shipping included.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Schrage -- Grosse Pte Farms, MI on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 04:16 pm:

Firestones were on my car when I bought it 2 years ago and no problems. The white walls continue to look great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 05:19 pm:

I know its not one of your choices but... I am on the 3rd set of 4.50/4.75 - 21" Excelsiors on my speedster in 15 years with no complaints.

The only drawback I have experienced is that my speedster isn't heavy enough to get the tread to wear even at full pressure. I wind up running about 15 psi to combat burning the tread centers out... Resulting in tire slippage on the rim if I drive too hard, and an a spongy road feel. I expect the Excelsior tires would perform much better on a heavier car.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration