Fox Steering Wheel Removal

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Fox Steering Wheel Removal
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phillip Terry on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 02:35 pm:

I have a 1926 Tudor. It came with a Fox steering wheel, non tilt. How do you remove the steering wheel, to service the steering gears? In the center of the wheel is a plastic cover. It acts like a horn button. Is there a nut behind this plastic peace? How do you remove the plastic piece? The steering wheel also has a key slot., but alas no key. Any ideas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 03:11 pm:

Never had one to know. But have run across these adv. for the Fox brand, maybe the pictures help...do know the gear case cover is pinned in place. So the pins need to be removed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 03:35 pm:

Phillip,

The horn button, ("plastic piece"), is crimped onto the steering wheel nut. Just loosen the nut and the horn button will come off with it.

There are a couple styles of Fox steering locks. Mine still uses the Model T steering wheel and not the Fox steering wheel. Mine uses only one locking pin, as shown above. You need a very small diameter punch to drive the lock pin back out. The punch goes into the small groove on the underside of the housing and you drive the pin up and out. Then just unscrew the housing the same way you would a stock Model T steering gear cover.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph A. Stearns on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 05:18 pm:

I have one of these Fox locking steering wheels on my 1926 Roadster. As Jerry pointed out there is a locking pin on the under side-- I was able to use a small nail to drive the pin out. Mine had two pins that had a rectangle shape but rounded on one side-- kind of difficult to describe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 05:28 pm:

I have a Fox. This is how the last owner opted to remove it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phillip Terry on Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 06:15 pm:

Thank you

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration