FJ - I met the infamous John Butler of Tennessee today ..... :-)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: FJ - I met the infamous John Butler of Tennessee today ..... :-)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 02:16 am:

With every early Ford I get to haul - there always is a story to tell ......

I met MTFCI & MTFCA Lifetime Member John Butler yesterday when I loaded up a beautiful Model A in Clarksville, TN ......

John is a long time contributor to The Vintage Ford and a celebrated author.

He referred me to his son in Wyoming to do the haul & gave me a copy of his book to boot.

John is on the left - standing next to the Seller.

What a pleasure to meet him ...... :-)

FreighTer Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 09:43 am:

I am curious, Infamous is usually a term used to describe someone or something that is vile in nature. I do not get that impression from your post though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 09:55 am:

One of my favorite films ......

" The Three Amigos "

" In - Famous means that you are MORE than famous ".

FreighTer Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 10:54 am:

Well,....actually Jim, someone who is "infamous" is someone who has a very bad reputation!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 11:51 am:

Harold,

Depends on the definition & the context in which it is used.

My respect & admiration is hard to miss .....

FreighTer Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 08:07 pm:

I cracked the dictionary,and infamous is defined as having a reputation of the worst kind. Now that being said, on several other forums about collecting, the term "hate" is often used. If you define hate as what is in the dictionary, it sounds bad, but it is used as a term of admiration usually used when another collector posts a photos of a very rare artifact that you do not have in your own collection. An even more hateful act is to post a photo of something that you did not even know existed and now you are going to have to spend your allowance on one for your own collection. These forums are very hateful places to visit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 08:35 pm:

Harold - you're absolutely correct and the definition is unambiguous.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 11:38 pm:

When, the day after the sneak attack on Pearl Harbor, FDR asked Congress to declare war on Japan, he described December 7, 1941 as "a date that will live in infamy".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 08:48 am:

Misusing "infamous" to mean "famous" is fairly common.

I just had an exchange with a newspaper reporter who used "hung" when he meant "hanged." I pointed out that whether the vandals were hung was up to their Creator, but that what the senator had meant was that they should be hanged. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 09:22 am:

Dick,

My purpose in using " infamous " was " tongue in cheek .....

That is self evident in my comments about him.

Rather than acknowledging what positive contributions John has made over many years - some folks instead choose to put a " Grammar Police " hat on.

John is well known or should be well known to most folks who have been around the Model T Community for awhile.

FreighTer Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 12:20 pm:

Jim, that will always be the shortcoming of online communication. Without inflection, tone of voice and facial expression, tongue in cheek doesn't get conveyed the same way it would if we had heard you make the statement orally. Back in the old DOS days, we used abbreviations to try to make up for that. Now we have emoticons. Neither works as well as face-to-face communication. Oh, well.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 01:06 pm:

Dick,

No replies yet concerning the subject matter - John ......

Instead - fixation on one word in the title - which when taken in the context of the post cannot be construed reasonably as being negative.

This is why folks hesitate to post on the forum - the need felt by a few to constantly " correct " others .......

FreighTer Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 11:43 pm:

Sorry to "correct" you Jim, I was just trying to understand the context of the word in the post. I had never heard it used with a good connotation and was curious as to why he would have a bad reputation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 11:44 pm:

By the way, I finally noticed the smiley face in the post title, so I should have understood the meaning.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration