Tool manufacturers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Tool manufacturers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Rosenkrans on Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 12:05 pm:

I'm just curious.

I have a '42 Willys Jeep and a '43 WLA motorcycle that I've collected complete tool kits for. Also a complete GMTK 2nd echelon tool kit. There is a great deal of discussion and debate on the Jeep forums about the acceptable manufacturers of the various tools in these very extensive kits which also varied throughout the war years.

I've also collected tool kits for my Model Ts and As but haven't seen anywhere near the same discussion on the Model A and T forums as to manufacturer, other than the presence/absence of the Ford branding. Has anybody done research on the Ford tool manufacturers during the Model T and A years?

Like I said, just curious

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By wayne tomlins on Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 03:27 pm:

Not a lot of research done on tool item manufacturers. I have come across information sometimes on forum discussions, as this one when the topic comes up. Not usually mentioned in club judging standards [MAFCA]but the known ones in the Model A era were Moore Drop Forge; McKaig Hatch NY;Walker Jack/Ajax; Nobett Sparks[ pumps]; Manzel plus others.
There was also tool items made outside US, in Canada, Gt Britain & later in '30's in Germany, maybe others like USSR too. I am still trying to find the names of the Canadian ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 11:22 am:

One of the guys in the local Model A club put together a good book on what tools go to what year A's. Over the years there has been stuff published in the T club mag's and there is a list in Bruce's book covering tools. I am not sure anyone has done in depth research into more then just the basics except maybe the oil can, screw driver, pliers, band wrench and maybe the jack that came in the tool kit, also who made what tools supplied by Ford and what the marks on them are. There were a lot of tools listed in Bruce's book and some basic dates when they came were on the market.
Bruce's book; Model T Ford, the car that changed the world by Bruce McCalley (RIP)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Rosenkrans on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 02:18 pm:

I have most of the T&A-related books (no-not "those" kind of books), including Bruce's marvelous book. Lots written about which tool types went with what years of T's and A's, but not to the level of detail as to which manufacturer supplied those tools when. I do remember some more in depth articles on the oil can, screwdriver, and jacks. Bringing it all together into one volume might be an interesting project for one of the national clubs.

The guys on the Jeep forum argue over whether the 6" pliers in the HD WLA kit in 1943 were only made by JP Danielson or others including Cee Tee. Fun and interesting to watch the debate. Lots of government documentation on tool type, but spotty documentation on manufacturer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By wayne tomlins on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 05:35 pm:

A good reference on mostly US tool manufacturers & their stamp marks can be found on Alloy Artifacts site.
As you say most documentation is 'spotty'. For sure one day someone will do a definitive book on all the Ford tools just as recently was done for Ford Employee Badges by James Krucki[2015,Early Ford V8 foundation & Museum].

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 05:45 pm:

Id believe Herbrand, and Cleveland Hardware made them too.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration