Speedometer alternative

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Speedometer alternative
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Monticciolo on Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 04:01 pm:

Just installed a Faria 0-60 GPS speedometer in my 24 C Cab, purchased from Cabela's $ 89.95 - 12v & ground hookup only no antenna needed - works very well. Thought I would pass it along. John Monticciolo, Algonac Michigan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lyon, PDX, OR. on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 02:03 pm:

Where and how did you mount it so you can see it? I hung a GPS on my windshield but it's hard to read because of the angle it hangs at. Don Lyon, PDX

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Monticciolo on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 03:11 pm:

Mounted speedometer below light switch and amp meter, using the lower bolts- on plastic plate 1/16 thick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 04:00 pm:

I use an app on my iPhone and have a holder that mounts with suction cup to dash or windshield. Big easy numbers to read and keeps track of milage. Called Speed Box, it's free and can be found at App Store under speedometers. Just another alternative.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John V. Dow on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 06:23 pm:

I have a Bryton Rider 100 bicycle GPS. Bought it on Ebay for about $65. Less than 2" square but numbers are easy to read, speedometer, odometer, elapsed time,calories burned, rechargeable, no wires, mounted on my windshield with velcro, removable for security. Works great!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Dysart - SoCal on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 06:42 pm:

hey john,

how many calories do you burn if you take your t for a 15 mile drive?

eric

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 08:11 pm:

I have a GPS speedometer, too. -While installation was very easy, there are disadvantages such as sporadic satellite reception and poor accuracy. -Maybe it's because I couldn't mount the magnetic antenna head any higher than the front fender due to my car being a Touring. -Oh, well; it's better than nothing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John V. Dow on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 09:40 pm:

Eric,

It's a function of how many doughnuts you consumed prior to the 15 miles. Your results may be different.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 10:38 pm:

Don
I crack open the windshields a bit to insert this clip and snap my Garmin in the below mount. My power connects to a cigar lighter hidden under the dash that is wired to a Motorcycle battery.
Hope this Helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam Mendenhall on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 01:34 pm:

George I used the speed box this past weekend it worked great. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 02:14 pm:

I have two speedometers:

1) The pitch of the transmission whine.

2) When my rear view mirror shakes so bad it's unusable, I'm going too fast.

foghorn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 03:17 pm:

The cheapest way: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG105.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glenn French on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 09:58 pm:

John,
I purchased this speedometer after reading about yours. The directions say to connect to ground, 12 volt and what they call a signal wire(12 volt from ignition switch). What did you connect to the signal wire? I am putting it in a metal dash, it may be shielded too much by the metal to get GPS signal. I will find out.
Glenn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 10:13 pm:

I've been using speed box on my iPhone. My reason for not getting an original speedometer set up was the price. About 6 months ago I just started buying a part here and there and I finally got all the pieces and put them together today. I like having the mileage there where it doesn't reset itself. Just an idea. It's fun working on the pieces and you get an original set up that doesn't impact your wallet all at once.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 11:36 am:

I used a bicycle one like Steve's... small and inconspicuous. I was an idiot, however, and mounted the sensor on the left front wheel... instead of the directionally stable rear wheel. Some day, I'll get around to re-mounting.

In the meantime, I have an old NUVI GPS, as i use my phone in my modern vehicle. The NUVI is mounted yo the lower windshield by a suction cup mount. It has a speedometer mode, that is great. I usually don't need directions... just speed, and how many miles driven... helps me remember how many miles O have on a tank!

I also put Velcro on the back of my phone case... then wrapped the fuzzy side up around my leg, and used the phone's map program.
... and, alternatively, a speedometer app. It worked well, but I didn't like taking my eyes away from the road to look at my leg, so abandoned it. Plus, it really wasn't bright enough at that angle for use with sunglasses.

So, for now, the NUVI wins....

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration