Registering untitled T in Rochester, NY and engine performance

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Registering untitled T in Rochester, NY and engine performance
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 06:01 am:

So, I went to the DMV in down town Rochester yesterday. Had what I thought was all the paperwork to apply for a new title and register the '23 T. Seemed lime everything was fine, but they didn't have any of the NY Historic plates at that location. So they sent me to another location outside of town.

When I got to the other location there was a line of about sixty people in front of me. Finally got to the clerk and he went through my previously approved paper work and said I needed a "weigh" certificate. So it was either have the T hauled to a weigh station outside of town or drive the unregistered T there. Decided I might as well drive the T. So I drove hole ... cranked up the T and my wife followed me in our Ford SUV.

Hit to the weigh station and the T was too light to register on their truck scales. So, we drove the new Ford and the T onto the scales ... weigh both ... then I drove the T off the scales and they weighed the SUV. Got two certificates and subtracted the weight of the SUV from the total of both cars to get the weight of the T, which was 1520 lbs. Then I drove the T back to the DMV ... and got the new temporary title and plates. Had ten days to get the T inspected ... then they send you the actual registration card.

Since I was on the road with the T anyway ... I called the inspection station and they fit me in for inspection. And now .. my '23 is legal, registered, and licensed.

Next step is to figure out why it has no hill climbing strength or acceleration. Could be because it is a recent rebuild. The engine is very even ... sounds good. Might be the timer ... or the NH carb. The Kevlar bands aren't dragging. And, my previous T was a very light speedster .. so maybe I'm not used to the extra weight of the body. But I feel that if this had a touring body and two passengers ... it would be pretty difficult to shift from low to high on the slightest of inclines.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Hand on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 08:27 am:

You received a temp. nontransferable registration after DMV inspects the paperwork in Albany, if no issue taken you will receive a transferable reg. No title on a pre 1972 vehicle. This may take a couple of months

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 08:30 am:

Mark

great to hear your T is registered.
I have the same power problem with a rebuilt motor and am hoping it will get better with time

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 08:58 am:

Hey George, Yes, been through this before. I do have actual 1923 NY plates to register. I didn't actually put the new Historic car plates on. So am sending that paperwork soon.

Fred, Maybe we should compare notes during this period as our cars get settled in. My email is mosterman@eastman.org

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 07:54 pm:

Nice. Feels good to be legal, yes?
I respectfully request you guys publish your break-in period thoughts/notes. :-)
The 18 here with a completely fresh (not run) upper engine is a performance freak compared to the plum wore out 24.
I almost (almost) don't like to drive the 24 as it's such a klutz/putz and yet does really good as he is.
Maybe it's the light "T" steering on the 18 that captured me compared to the 24.
It's obvious I'm liking your adventures with your 23. Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 08:06 pm:

I blew up my muffler last night. Was switching over from battery to mag while drive to see the difference in performance and the key got momentarily snagged in the switch. When I got it over to mag the muffler exploded and the outer cover peeled back like Elmer Fudds shotgun. :-)

Came home sounding like a race car. Once the muffler cooled I pounded the outer shell flat and re-established the seams with a hammer on the top of my table saw. Re-assembled the muffler .. works fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Menkhaus on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 10:28 pm:

HA! Mark I did that exact same thing once driving my T breaking in the new engine. Running on Bat, flipped to Mag, but my hand slipped off the switch while I was doing about 20 mph...

Blew the muffler clean off :-) A nice neighbor came by to give me back my muffler and to check out the car..

I now have a newer muffler that's brazed together :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, September 09, 2017 - 05:04 am:

Mine blew off too. I was only a couple of blocks from home and after I pulled into the drive way I looked under the car and saw the outer shell was missing. Hopped in my SUV and drove to where it happened and the shell was on the side of the road .... looked like a potato chip.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration