Anyone having trouble with new metal stem clincher tubes?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Anyone having trouble with new metal stem clincher tubes?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 04:44 pm:

Anyone having trouble with new metal stem clincher tubes holding air?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 05:08 pm:

As a matter of fact, no. -I recently had to replace an inner-tube when I found a roofing nail in the street and the tire and most of the tube got wrapped around the rear axle. -Lang's was temporarily out of stock, so they gave me the direct phone number to Universal, the inner-tube's distributor.

I spoke with a rep there who assured me they had responded to the widespread complaints of tubes not holding air by switching to a more reliable manufacturer and that the new stock was a big, trouble-free improvement.

I was skeptical, but with nowhere else to go for new tubes, ordered a replacement and much to my delight, this new type turned out to be quite good. -Credit where credit is due: Universal listened to the complaints of their customers and fixed the problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 05:17 pm:

Last Sept, mounted up two tires with new metal stem tubes. Used flaps like always, careful mounting.

But a week later one was loosing air, #@(*&!

So off with the tire and checking the tube over, could not find any marks or tears from pinch or the tire irons.

So some soapy water showed the culprit. Poor seal of the wide thick Schrader rubber pad on the metal stem. The seal to the rubber tube was at fault.

50-50 chance of a good tube :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 05:46 pm:

That's not a metal stem tube, Dan.

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 05:51 pm:

I just did a set of metal stems all around in clinchers. The fronts went down equally after a period of weeks and the rears also, but less so.

Did yours go dead flat? Remember, when first mounted you can wind up with air trapped between the tire and tube that has to work its way out over time. If yours haven't gone dead flat, or have gone down very slow, air them up a couple more times and see if the issue subsides. Of course, also soap the core as that's an easy check.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Saturday, September 09, 2017 - 05:07 am:

Yes Ron

I have 8 off the 30x3 1/2 marked with EEC metal stemmed
tubes and they all drop pressure from 60 psi down to 25 in a few weeks however the other ones on another vehicle don't loose anything in the same time. I have tried different valves and fitted modern sealed caps but they still leak. It's not a puncture just a slow leak. I rejected the first set of replacement tubes as they were half the weight of originals. I believe there isn't any or enough Butyl compound in the tube. It's well past the time that a quality build standard be drawn up and it be demanded that we get equal quality as the old ones were. I for one would pay a bit more to get a good tube similar to what we got in the 60's
Alan in Western Australia

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration