Sitting here in Key Largo awaiting Irma the real story

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Sitting here in Key Largo awaiting Irma the real story
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Saturday, September 09, 2017 - 01:09 am:

The news has done an excelent job in scaring everybody. Yes this is a major storm and yes we may lose everything based on a storm surge. Just imangine your shop and tools submerged in salt water. Yes tools and car parts can be salvaged provided there is fresh water to rinse them off. If evaucated however there might be as much as a couple weeks could pass. I will be staying in the attempt to be able to prevent a total loss and make it more like 70 or 80%. Hopefully we won't lose our cars and everything but there is nothing more we can do about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Saturday, September 09, 2017 - 01:15 am:

Stay safe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Saturday, September 09, 2017 - 02:06 am:

Apparently Miami north of us is already getting waves. I must have missed them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, September 09, 2017 - 03:00 am:

Above all else. You and your family be safe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Saturday, September 09, 2017 - 06:37 am:

Take care!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip thompson on Saturday, September 09, 2017 - 07:11 am:

I under stand man I couldn't run off and leave
Everything. Good luck and hold the fort

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Saturday, September 09, 2017 - 07:33 am:

Good luck Chad, We started out but the roads were jammed and we turned around and came home. I see your starting to get it. It wont be as bad when it gets to us but I think its still going to be a 4. Hope to see you on here on Tuesday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, September 09, 2017 - 08:09 am:

Praying for all those affected by this brutal historic storm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Saturday, September 09, 2017 - 08:16 am:

Sitting here I'm left with a decision as to whether I park my car on high ground and walk back or not. Information relative to that would be the surge which they claim is "the biggest threat" but fail to offer ANY relevant information. Instead they are working to scare people further north on the west coast now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Stryker on Saturday, September 09, 2017 - 08:43 am:

Scaring people is their job to get ratings. Most homes will withstand a solid Cat 3. Cat 4 is pushing it for shoddy construction. Cat 5 is like a 50 mile wide tornado that little will survive. For me, evacuation is a last resort limited to a direct hit from a Cat 5.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Saturday, September 09, 2017 - 09:54 am:

While the media reported it, the LEOs and officials were scaring people in Texas during Harvey. They were telling those that choose to stay behind to write their SS# on their arm so they can identify the body.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Saturday, September 09, 2017 - 10:24 am:

Hummm...So there is a hurricane coming. You are in its path and have been told to evacuate to higher ground 60 miles away. ... Your car is an electric $68,000 Tesla. Last night you were dining out and visiting pubs traveling 50 miles. You arrived home.

Tired you decided to put the car on the charge in the morning. During the night power went out. The car has a remaining charge of 40 miles. It takes four hours to charge when there is electricity, but you must evacuate within the hour.

How far will you be able to travel in the Tesla?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Saturday, September 09, 2017 - 10:46 am:

You can't blame media if any storm changes track, storms do that. After Katrina no government agency is going to be caught with their pants down and they are doing their jobs. If anyone decides to stay when evacuation orders are issued, it's all on you. Material possessions may or may not be replaceable but your life certainly isn't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Saturday, September 09, 2017 - 10:48 am:

Well George, Anyone who is out casually dining and visiting pubs the night before they are supposed to evacuate has more problems than just their Tesla.

Stephen, First responders are tired of people's arrogant attitudes staying when it would be prudent to leave only to get frantic phone calls in the middle of a storm expecting others to risk their lives for childish decisions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, September 09, 2017 - 11:40 am:

Amen, Michael.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, September 09, 2017 - 11:41 am:

Very well said Michael!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Saturday, September 09, 2017 - 01:00 pm:

Wind is picking up here, its blown out a tiki and some trees. Working with the tide it has also pushed water above the docks. Tide should be going out soon which will help.

I watched the news for hours and failed to see them actually show the different computers models. The would pick out the one they liked and show that along with the cone. It seems that they picked the wrong model for accuracy as the storm IS doing what 1 track showed. Unfortunatly if they used that track they would have been unable to scare as many people.

Traffic is going to be an absolute nightmare trying to get south.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Saturday, September 09, 2017 - 01:26 pm:

Well Michael, that is human nature.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Saturday, September 09, 2017 - 01:32 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, September 09, 2017 - 03:37 pm:

Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Saturday, September 09, 2017 - 08:04 pm:

Power and water are still on, its blowing pretty good outside. As we are emptying out fridges etc last night was lobster and tonight are bacon wrapped filet mignon. My friend here has been shooting video and has been contacted by 4 news stations so far.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, September 09, 2017 - 08:48 pm:

At least you're eating well so far. Good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt the Headlight Lens Guy n California on Saturday, September 09, 2017 - 08:52 pm:

Chadwick,
Your dinner sounds great! In other circumstances I would really want to join you :-)

Praying for your safety and many others.

Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt the Headlight Lens Guy n California on Saturday, September 09, 2017 - 09:14 pm:

My daughter handed me a can of soup and said that she wanted tomato soup. I opened it and found it was cream of mushroom. So that is my dinner;)

I found the following on Wikipedia:
"The island of Key Largo is an exposed, fossilized remnant of a coral reef formed during a period of higher sea level and then uncovered and eroded during a subsequent ice age. The highest elevation is a slight ridge forming the spine of the island, which rises to about 15 feet (4.6 m)."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Saturday, September 09, 2017 - 09:50 pm:

Hey Chadwick,

keep clam and weather the storm. Remember I'm still holding those coils for you!!!!!!!

hoping all's well with you and your family. Keep us up to date.

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, September 09, 2017 - 09:54 pm:

I'd guess you're posting from your phone, if the power goes out, what do you folks do to be able to have fresh batteries ready to use for posting content and for lighting? Dumb-bell question maybe.
The BBC news last night said that the island homes South-South East of you with concrete roofs faired better than those with wood or steel roofs.
Thank you for posting thru this and keep us up to date as you see fit.
We are pulling/praying for you all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Saturday, September 09, 2017 - 10:24 pm:

Duey,

Don't know about Chadwick, but my house in Florida has a 20 amp at 120 v inverter that goes on a 12v car battery. It's tough on the battery...have to run the engine to keep it toppped...and it's extension cords from there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, September 09, 2017 - 11:22 pm:

Oof. Tough on a battery ya! 20 Amps?
I had 3 full lines of type about the 4500 watt Diesel generator that I use here but I X'd that out...
I have a 1000 Watt inverter and it beat the tar out of a battery just running a fan.
Interesting things.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 03:10 am:

Duey, funny bit but BBC world contacted my friend here (we are crashing in the neighbord house because it is much nice and has hurricane windows so we aren't in a cave) asking to be able to use some of the video etc he was posting on facebook. No I not posting from my phone, I have my computer online and the power is still on which is surprising.

The water has come up about 2 feet above the dock but high tide has passed and the next one isn't until 1PM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 03:28 am:

A few pictures I shot yesterday as the tide/surge came up.

Earlier tonight while there was still enough light.

As far as power goes between the 3 houses we have a honda 2kw, honda 3kw, 3.5kw, and craftsman 6.3kw. A freezer full of bagged ice and as we still have power the ice machine is still been cranking out more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 07:25 am:

Power is now out, it went out at 6:47AM. I believe the wifi router is on a power supply so I haven't lost internet just yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Macky Mongold on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 08:08 am:

If there is anything I can do to help let me know.

Macky in Clearwater

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 02:43 pm:

My wife's cousin lives in Duneden and is hoping everything stays together. Good Luck to all of you and Chadwick, Thanks for the pictures

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 03:31 pm:

Watching various news reports until they get old, then watch a show or two, then switch back to the news/weather and there's the same guy standing in the same street in the same rain and same wind. Glad I didn't spend two hours of my life watching that idiot. What's better was the guy on the beach this morning saying how concerned he was for these other two people he saw walking on the beach. Huh? If it's too dangerous for them, what are you doing out There? And then there was the cameraman who got blown down.....what did his crew do? Came over and wiped off his lens for him while he's laying on the ground. Probably all in the script.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 03:36 pm:

Here come the looters......

https://www.local10.com/weather/hurricane-irma/looters-caught-by-local-10-camera s-arrested-by-fort-lauderdale-police

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 04:40 pm:

We're ready for them. Spent the last two days casting bullets and reloading ammo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 08:19 pm:

The wind is blowing but the storm has passed and the water has gone down. Power is still out but we have a generator running, good tv, and wifi. Water is still on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Stryker on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 08:54 pm:

Well done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 11:40 pm:

Re; and there's the same guy standing in the same street in the same rain and same wind.

We have that same guy/gal here in Portland standing on the overpass telling us it's snowing and wind is blowing! Like we don't know that already! LOL
We are stuck at home with nothing on the tube except those idiots telling us the same thing over and over. :-)
Chadwick; glad you are ok.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt the Headlight Lens Guy n California on Monday, September 11, 2017 - 12:55 am:

Chadwick,
So what did you have for dinner?
Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Monday, September 11, 2017 - 06:47 am:

Last night I suffered, the wind was still blowing so no fire or power, a premade roast. The sun will be poking out pretty soon and the wind is finally dropping so maybe I can get out and shoot some pictures.

Remember unlike Katrina and Harvey this is all ocean salt water.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, September 11, 2017 - 08:34 am:

Glad you're OK.

Were having a hard time figuring out what is REALLY happening or a gonna happen. Last night, we were sitting here looking at TV and checking the Acuuweather app on my phone. They were telling me I was having 15 mph winds and 30 something mph gusts. For probably 2-3 hours the app was saying this, but the winds were dead calm. Right now, they are saying 28 gusting to 54. Maybe. It IS blowing, but when they were off by 30 mph last night, I don't know that I can believe them today. This is a small town. I live just outside the city limits, but it's only about a mile to the town center. It's not like it was calm at my house and someone else in town was getting 30 mile per hour gusts. The eye is still in FL and according to TWC, has been downgraded to a Tropical Storm, but Fox News as saying that AL was gonna get a hurricane. Guess it's gonna strengthen over GA, huh? So who to believe?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, September 11, 2017 - 09:11 am:

Had to come in to work today in an empty building here is what the street out front looked like

after I got to work they closed all the bridges so no one gets out or in. many streets near the river and estuaries flooded but they are saying it should start clearing out this afternoon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Monday, September 11, 2017 - 10:42 am:

It was fascinating to see Tampa Bay and tributaries sucked dry of water. Some idiots were out on the mud taking selfies with the water in the background. I'd hate to have be there when the water came back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJv2TR4XtnE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, September 11, 2017 - 10:52 am:

Chad,

I'm happy that neither you nor your property have suffered greatly during this storm. However, I have to believe that some have probably lost everything and are now sleeping in crowded shelters. Maybe not on your street, or even in your town. With that in mind, I must say that I find your smugness at having outsmarted the news media, and your reports of "suffering" through a pre-made roast kind of upsetting. I hope sir, for your sake, that when a storm comes directly to your address, that those who have now lost everything will not take the same cavalier mindset that you now have. May I suggest some level of humility in your many blessings?

Stay safe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, September 11, 2017 - 11:12 am:

Chad, your outgoing mail is going to get wet! LOL
(the flag is up on your mail box) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, September 11, 2017 - 11:18 am:

I don't think anyone is saying the storm was not bad for a lot of people. However, I do believe there was a lot of overreaction. And it continues. Wind is up here and may get scary, but if I had listened to the news types, I'd have been scared since last Thursday. My young coworker came early Friday morning. He spent the better part of three days constantly checking the weather on his phone and asking me if what we were seeing on tv was what we were going to see here. The boy was clearly scared. 23 and first time out of his parents sight, several hundred miles from where he is from. By last night, they had lifted evacuation orders for his area. Not wanting to have to drive an hour and a half in this crap this morning, and with the cone having shifted West of us, he left last night to go back to savannah.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, September 11, 2017 - 11:36 am:

Hal,

Yes, I definitely agree, the media hype is terrible. I know of a young guy who has fears of most things that all of us wouldn't think twice about. It all seems very neurotic and irrational, yet I think about how it must be to grow up in today's world where everything is drama and life/death scare tactics make the news regularly. It's no wonder he's so sensitive to the slightest situation. Death seemingly lurks around every corner. Good thing we have our terribly dangerous Model Ts to relax with :-)

Hope you remain high & dry!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Monday, September 11, 2017 - 12:01 pm:

I think that the most unprofessional thing the news media did was the constant talk about the storm making an eventual turn to the north to strike Florida when all the while, Cuba's northern coast was getting shredded. I've been to Cuba and there are real people living there; just thought I would fill in a gap left out by journalism.
Vern

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, September 11, 2017 - 12:15 pm:

This maybe a little OT. This morning a local TV station was doing a live video interview with a Patrick something from Gas Buddy about the lack of gas in GA and FA. This bright lamp of our younger Gen was doing this by FaceTime(I think) while he was DRIVING!!!! WTF is wrong with this picture. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, September 11, 2017 - 01:00 pm:

Vern, I have found that American media tends to cover American stories. The Dutch-French island of Sint-Maarten/St. Martin has been really slammed but I have only seen passing mention here. King Willem-Alexander was on Curaçao yesterday and flew to Sint-Maarten this morning. President Macron is apparently also planning a visit soon. A Dutch Navy ship and a contingent of Marines is either on their way or have arrived.

http://www.telegraaf.nl/binnenland/29204614/__Nationale_actie_voor_Sint-Maarten_ op_vrijdag__.html

One paragraph in the article above reads: "'Hurricane Irma has almost completely destroyed Sint-Maarten. Houses are no longer standing, food and water are scarcely obtainable. Despair can be read on the faces of the people. The more people who help, the better. With the money collected we will buy food and shelter for the people who need it so badly,' says Director Gijs de Vries of the Red Cross."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Monday, September 11, 2017 - 09:44 pm:

Great to hear from you Chadwick!
Mary Chapin Carpenter sang "They have hurricane parties every time it blows..."
With ALL due respect. Yikes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 05:44 pm:

Chadwick, if you catch a moment, give us a holler would you?
Many of us are thinking about you folks, some are asking.
In essence, you're being paged. :-) "Paging Mr. Azevedo, white courtesy telephone please." ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 08:57 pm:

I would imagine that Chad is fine. I am worried about his home and property. Considering his bunker, and posts post blow, it is unlikely anything serious has happened to him. But still, I worry.
It is also very likely that he has lost internet service, unless he is on direct satellite. That is a field I worked in for 25 years. Landline services of the internet and phone sort require electricity. With the destruction of most of the electrical supply, that leaves phones and internet at temporary risk. Most, nearly all major, communications systems require backup power supplies to keep them operational through normal outages. Many of those backup supplies are only reliable for 24 to 48 hours. Extensive outages are often maintained by manual service after that. But that can only be done to a limited extent. By now, it is likely that some areas will have lost their internet, as the backup batteries have died.

Still, I worry about my friends.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 09:24 pm:

Jerry sorry for the delay in responding to your comments, I have been without wifi. Personally I think it was VERY rude of you to assume what you did about my property when the storm was just starting. My intention on this post was to give you and everybody else an on the scene of what was happening.

As far as damage out only 2 cars ('04 Lincoln Aviator and a '59 Thunderbird) received salt water in their under cariage which I have rinsed to the best of my ability, time will tell with rust but they are both running. The home I sat the storm out while being solid has taken much damage due to salt water flooding. Where we live was also flooded, currently we are living under a friends roof while I try to tear everything out and save what I can. Perhaps you would like to see boxes of model t parts flooded with salt water that I haven't been able to get to for 2 days. Or maybe for you train guys the hundreds of lionel track and dozens of switches that are now destroyed. Anyways I didn't mean for this post to be about what I have lost but more an accurate report of what has been going on so back on topic.

The storm lasted all day and we were without power that night, I was able to wade thru flooded streets to check on our house. The primary reason was to see the status of the boats I had tied up for a friend (its actually his house). All 3 survived and were floating although the top was torn up on 2. Across the canal was a boat half on a dock still on the trailer. It had floated across the lot across the canal and half onto the neighbors dock with the trailer still attached.

The next morning while I didn't have wifi I had cell service which consisted of almost non stop calls of people requesting a damage report on their home. Over all there are pockets hit harder than others and many damaged boats, many of which could be avoided. Personally the motor on my 16 foot boat is destroyed and my 13 foot whaler is up on the trailer with a hole in the glass that I can repair if I find the time. The biggest killer of boats was a failure to anticipate the rise in water level. Boats would hang from davits or sit on a boat lift and float free. If a hook wasn't secured it would come free and that end of the boat would drop with the water while the other would not. There are pockets of damaged homes but most are ocean front and took a direct hit. Overall I saw only a couple homes which were trailers on the ocean that were destroyed. Trees were down everywhere and those that might survive have been given an extreme salt water bath. Cosmetically Key Largo with take a very long time to recover. The piles of debris will be massive and everywhere as people clear out their flooded homes and natures trash (we had a foot of sea grass and debris in our yard, driveway, and carport.

We did not lose water, power was lost for about 55 hours at our house (there are pockets without and those that never lost power). Tower of Pizza, a local Italian place was open for lunch the day after the storm (no power, gas oven, cool beer) which was yesterday. Winn Dixie and Publix also opened. Gas stations are opening back up and the lines are not more than 3-8 cars. That is bound to change as soon as they allow non residents to return. It is common for people in less prepared areas hit less hard to have a much harder time finding fuel. Today my wife and son made it back and while most things are still closed we were able to go to her friends resturant where she used to work and have a great lunch (they never lost power). Lunch was a crispy Thai spicy duck and sushi (remember they never lost power). The point of this is that while I live in a hurricane prone area and we took a much harder hit than most of south east FL. People here have built prepared and have the mindset of recovering quickly. I can show you photos of downed trees and disaster areas I was only able to take because I stayed for the storm. These disaster have since been cleared and people are returning to their normal way of life. Things like a blocked street being cleared by a forklift from our fisheries located a half mile from them on a side street. There is massive property damage although at least in Key Largo no loss of life or even injuries that I have heard about.

The worst is the hype of the news as we saw in TX with things like "write your name and ss# on your arm so we can identify your body" which has caused people to flee to less secure areas than they might have found at home. I have not come across a single person who was happy they evacuated now that this is over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 11:17 pm:

Pictures from yesterday, I managed to clear the carport giving me a single area where I can start to clean and sort what can and can't be saved building on the pile in the front yard.

Where we live is on the otherside of the garage. Our side took the brunt of the damage

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 12:37 am:

Oh what a mess! But that sort of thing cleans up in awhile. With all the salt water, a lot of rinsing will be in order. But just being on the ocean like that has salt in the air normally. Most unrestored model T stuff should be okay after a couple rinses. Repairing sheet-rock (if you have much?) and other wall coverings and painting will keep your evenings busy for awhile. Glad you are okay (I knew you would be!).
I hope to see you back out to our end of the continent maybe next year.
Take care.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 06:51 am:

The salt is so bad that chassis parts had a solid covering of rust started within hours of the water going down. It will be days possibly weeks before I can even get to most of my stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Macky Mongold on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 07:50 am:

Good to hear from you. I have lived in Clearwater
since 1970. I have never left because of a storm,
but, I have never experienced cat 4 or 5. Just glad to hear you are OK.
Macky

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 08:53 am:

A word to the wise:

One thing we learned after Katrina was the effect salt water has on electric wire.

We don't have the level of saltiness you have - we call it "brackish." The effect you will suffer must be many times worse.

While it's fairly obvious that any outlet that goes under water has to be replaced because it rusts, what isn't so obvious is that any Romex or other wire that is submerged in salt water, even for a short time, needs to be replaced as well.

So in New Orleans and surrounding areas that flooded, we didn't just have to tear out the bottom four feet of sheetrock, but wherever there is an outlet we had to tear out up to the ceiling, so new wires could be run to the attic, where they are junctioned to the system. And of course wires have to be stapled to the studs, so simply fishing new Romex up the wall doesn't satisfy code. Nor does installing a junction box above the water line, unless it is installed so that it is visible and accessible. Nobody wants a line of 'mystery' boxes with blank plates, scattered around their house.

We're talking National Electrical Code here, so no matter how strict or lax your local code enforcers are, if you 'get away with' not replacing those wires, you can forget ever making a claim against your insurance if you have a fire.

Lesson learned: a lot of folks who live in areas that can flood again, got flexible plastic conduit and replaced the Romex with that. It means replacing the outlet box, which is small potatoes, and plastic boxes are used. Then all the junctions are made in the attic. If you get another flood, it just means pulling new wires into the conduits.

And the theory is, that if you ever get a flood that submerges the attic, you haven't got a viable house to go back to. Tear it down and start over.

Our other concern was mold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 09:12 am:

A word to the wise,If you find yourself in a hole, Stop Digging!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 10:30 am:

Chad,

I didn't assume anything beyond what you stated to be the case at the time of my posting. I AM sorry about the losses you eventually incurred. I also apologize if my estimation of your mindset was not accurate. Truly hoping the best for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 11:44 am:

So good to hear you are safe. My thoughts are with you as you dig out. From your posting one is convinced you will do it. Best wishes to you and yours,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 12:10 pm:

I'm glad that you are safe and have sustained relatively minor damage Chadwick. Here in Naples, we sustained a lot of tree damage, lost a handful of shingles on the barn, and about 1/4 of the screens on our pool enclosure. The T was fine.
As to the media hype - I don't know what went on elsewhere, but here in Naples, the local CBS affiliate was very careful to repeatedly mention that the wind and flooding forecasts were "worst case" and that many people would not experience things as bad as forecast. They have to err on the side of safety.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 01:25 pm:

I certainly hope our area does not experience the devastation of Texas and Florida. Its going to happen but there is far less population from home to central California. As far as I know you cant stop a plate shift and we are staying.
I prefer to be warned of possible signs of a shift--- even only an hours warning might be enough to get to high ground.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 05:36 am:

Very few homes sustained significant damage to the structures. What you see on the news are the various trailer parks usually on the ocean that took a direct hit. Even in those there are usually a couple homes (hiding in the background) that are double wides on stilts that survived. For the home owners (not us) this is great news. For people like us things are a bit different, as Peter mentioned its the water damage. There is no insurance so while it looks great in the carport that I cleared (all concrete) the rest of the downstairs is a disaster. Alot survived and alot didn't but I have to have a clean place to put what did survive so I can get to what is dying and might be able to be saved. As far as storm injuries or deaths they have been very very few and far between, so few I have only heard some rumors of a few further south.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration