An Alternative to Those Tiny Expansion Plugs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: An Alternative to Those Tiny Expansion Plugs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, September 09, 2017 - 07:01 pm:

The aluminum axle housing outer grease seals from the vendors come with a pair of tiny expansion plugs that are supposed to plug the holes in the housings to help hold the grease in the outer Hyatt bearings. I have found that they are a pain to install and don't fit very well.

An alternative is to wrap that part of the housing with a layer of aluminum tape, like that used to seal up leaks in house ductwork. It's thin and smooth enough not to interfere with the installation of the outer grease seals, and it covers the offending hole just fine. I cut the strips long enough to provide a double layer over the hole for extra strength. :-)

https://www.modeltford.com/item/2510NB.aspx

http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Aluminum-Foil-Tape-34 383?N=5002385+3293241066&rt=rud

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dunn on Saturday, September 09, 2017 - 09:51 pm:

I just installed one of those tiny plugs in my T, had to file it a bit but it was still frustrating. I'll give your method a try on the other side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Saturday, September 09, 2017 - 10:02 pm:

Good idea !! I'll try it. I never was able to get those devils in .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 09:13 am:

What hole are you talking about? The one in the upper rear towards the backing plate is supposed to have a grease cup in it. How are you lubing the Hyatt bearings? They're supposed to have a few turns applied to grease every 200 miles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 11:32 am:

The holes that the dimples in the sleeves fit in to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 04:08 pm:

Correct, the holes for the sleeve dimples. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Monday, September 11, 2017 - 05:39 pm:

Those little plugs are a pain in the patuushka/boonda/posterior.
I kind of laid them in place as they don't fit, swatted the covers on and looked away. :-/
And I still cut the O-rings a little. Round off those tube ends pretty. :-)
A piece of aluminum tape to cover that hole?
Simple, brilliant and I'm embarrassed I couldn't see outside the box while reading instruction nor could I have found the roll I have.
Next time for me. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration