Shorten steering column

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Shorten steering column
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Kelley on Saturday, September 09, 2017 - 09:00 pm:

I searched back 900 days & didn't find any help. Anyone had experience in shortening a steering column. My hack column just extends too far back for my size. Tried smaller wheel with some help, but if I could shorten the column 4 to6 inches, seems like it would be much more fun to drive. Would like to shorten between fire wall and dash brace. Anyone done this? How hard is it to do?
Thanks, Frank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Saturday, September 09, 2017 - 09:25 pm:

Here are two past threads on the subject:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/377374.html?1375667847

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/143834.html

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Saturday, September 09, 2017 - 10:01 pm:

Yep. I've done it. It's not to bad a job. Carefull with the shift and throttle quadrant. It likes to crack putting back on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Saturday, September 09, 2017 - 10:35 pm:

I removed 4 inches from the column without removing the upper gear box or quadrant. The shaft was shortened and a new taper cut along with keyway. The column was shortened 4 inches just below the horn wire tube. Spark and throttle rods were not removed, redrilled and shortened.
This worked very well and made entry/exit into my Fordor much easier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Saturday, September 09, 2017 - 11:25 pm:

I made the column in the the town car five (5) inches shorter. I don't remember it being too difficult, the worst part was cutting the new keyway by hand. I also raised the column towards the windscreen to give me more leg room. It's like driving a London bus or the original Austin Mini.
I have discovered the steering column on the 09 Touring should be reduced to 54" (from 58"). I wonder if it will clear my knees. Another job for the list...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Kelley on Saturday, September 09, 2017 - 11:51 pm:

Thanks for the info so far. I think I'll try it the way Jack did his.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Sullivan, Powell WY on Monday, September 11, 2017 - 04:17 pm:

I took a shaft to a machinist and had them shorten by 8", by removing the pitman arm end and recreating. Beautiful job, including the keyway, but now I am not sure I am going to use it all versus another half baked idea I have come up with.

I know I have a photo comparing the remachined end with the original, but cannot find. But they were identical.

I then cut the column tube to match and added a brass quadrant. I also cut the horn wire tube a bit. The length of the cut was not arbitrary; in addition to be proportionate to a cowl I have, the column came out of a car that spent a large portion of its life upside down in water. The first 6" or so were rough, the rest was nice as you can see from the shiny paint.

Here are photos of the tube so you can compare the changes...

Test fit

Cut into pieces, bottom half painted...

Installed after cutting and installation of quadrant...

(Message edited by BRIANWYO on September 11, 2017)

(Message edited by BRIANWYO on September 11, 2017)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration