Horn button replacement part?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Horn button replacement part?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 07:50 am:

I bought a used horn button, and a NOS housing----the type that clamps on the steering column. My hope was to take the guts from the used one and put it in the new NOS housing. No go, the contact plat is all swollen and in bad shape and the button doesn't look much better on the backside.

I only see the horn button itself listed for parts. Do they not reproduce the contact plate separately? Do I have to really go buy an entire reproduction assembly just to get a working horn button?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 10:53 am:

Hi Chad,

I may have one. I'll take a look. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 05:02 pm:

If you cannot get a nice one? Epoxy is your friend. Whether to use the slow set clear stuff, or the dark gray J B Weld (still slow set) is a judgement call. Some materials, and types of cracking need the clear stuff (soaks in better), some things need more fill (still want the slow set to soak in as best it can), hence the JB W. Sometimes, a first coat of clear (soaks in better), followed by the thicker fill works best.
Sometimes, a bit of reshaping , filing and sanding first is a good idea, especially if a piece is badly distorted. Usually, gluing first followed by shaping and sanding is best (less likely to crumble into dust before you are done).
Regardless, you will likely do a few gluing sessions, each with less filing and shaping afterwards. Followed by a light coat of flat or satin black paint it will even look great.
I have salvaged and used numerous Bakelite, pressed paper, and pot metal parts this way and had many years of flawless use from them afterwards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 05:40 pm:

Chad, count your blessings. At least you can buy what you need. Our Canadian sourced item are like those on 15-17 US T's and the only thing available for them is the little horn button, nothing else.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 09:16 pm:

Allan, I have a couple bits and pieces of the original Canadian button that is SUPPOSED to be on my car. The problem is I don't have a complete one for that setup.

So, in light of that situation, I decided to go with the American style one on the column as I felt that was easily reversible in the future. I thought I did good with my mix of NOS shell and used complete unit, I guess not. I should have just shelled out for the repo on I guess, as usual, in the end I'll have WAY more invested into one part than I should have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, September 11, 2017 - 09:11 am:

Chad,

Try not to get frustrated. I love what John Maxwell shares, "Sometimes we win and sometimes we learn." I did a similar thing years ago in college. The local unfinished furniture store had a book case for $39.95 or so. I looked at that and thought, "I can build one for less than that." And besides, I had a great example to follow in their store. Well, quiet a few hours later and a few dollars more, I had built my book case.

Also, be sure to keep the Canadian pieces you have. You maybe able to obtain some other parts and or make them at a later date. And from an old photo of your "cut off" it appears that the outside housing at the top where the button goes is a little worse for wear. Perhaps you could reform the lip at the top and make a thinner horn button that would work with it? For that mater the contacts for the horn appear to be simply the brass(?) strips pushed together by the button? Please see the posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/69100.html

By the way, I never remember a time when I was driving my T that I needed to honk at someone else who was driving too slow....but it is fun to honk and that folks that wave.

Good luck with your T.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, September 11, 2017 - 05:39 pm:

Try ebay. That stuff is on there all the time.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration