Ruckstell Axle

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Ruckstell Axle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phillip Terry on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 12:01 pm:

I have a 1926 with a Ruckstell axle. It has 8" drums. Is that correct or has someone changed it to an earlier axle? I was told all 1926 T's had large brake drums.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 12:51 pm:

Someone used what they had, all 1926 and 27 had large drums. Unless you are going to pull it to rebuild, I would leave it as it is. If you don't have them I would however recommend (very strongly) adding aftermarket rear brakes.
If you are planning on pulling it you could try and swap the Ruckstell side housing with someone that is looking for the early style and replace the other side with the correct housing, the right side is just the standard housing. Of course that also means different radius rods, brake shoes and brake rods.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 01:08 pm:

My 1926 Ruckstell has 11 drums.

Per Ford Service manual for the Improved Car par. 1221 Brake drum has been increased from 8 in diameter to 11 in diameter, the width of the drum being increased from 1.812 to 1.843.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phillip Terry on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 01:39 pm:

Thank you for the replies

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration