Magneto or generator? Delete Magneto?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Magneto or generator? Delete Magneto?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Monte Carmack on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 06:29 pm:

My car recently started surging/lurching/missing when I shift into high gear. It seems to be missing at idle also. So I ordered a new timer. But it is not here yet. Cleaned plugs etc. My question is... Can I just go to a True Fire ignition, remove my magnets and coils, install oil slinger in place of magnets, and just run on generator and True Fire system? My car is a 1924 touring with starter. I am kind of old school and HATE going to electronic ignition. But it would be nice to avoid all the extra weight of mag coils and magnets. I rebuilt my Ford coils years ago and put in new capacitors and points. Thanks - Monte

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 06:35 pm:

Check for loose connections in your ignition switch first. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 06:43 pm:

Yes you could....but the E-Timer is a much more authentic option. Unlike the True-Fire, it uses your existing Ford coils with no wiring alterations. The E-Timer is built into an original timer case and it's impossible to tell the car has electronic ignition just by looking at it. Furthermore, it has automatic timing adjustment, if you wish to use it that way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Monte Carmack on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 06:46 pm:

Does Langs carry the E timer? Would the etimer still need the magneto then?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 07:16 pm:

Oh boy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 07:26 pm:

An old thread regarding removal of magnets. An E Timer does not utilize the magneto.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/107418.html?1257441443

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 09:10 pm:

The motor is missing so you are going to totally scrap the ignition system? it just might something as simple as a bad coil or a fuel problem.

Do you have the Service Manual? See chapter XXXII Misfiring. It lists some simple steps for diagnosing problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Monte Carmack on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 09:23 pm:

Yes, I have one. I will double check it. I rebuilt all the coils myself, and installed new points awhile back, rebuilt the NH carb myself, rewired the whole car front to back, and installed a top by myself. Not that I can't solve this... just looking for a little better reliability. This is my first real mystery after 16 years of owning the car. The T has been in my family since about 1957.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 09:32 pm:

Before you start ripping and tearing Dallas Landers is in your part of the country you might talk to him? He is a good hand!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 09:55 pm:

My 26 Roadster came to me with the magnets removed and a distributor. It runs great and is very reliable. No mag just runs off the battery and generator. I don't think that the lighter flywheel really makes much difference in performance. I would not have changed it myself but works great for me.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration