Changed bands. Now pedal not working.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Changed bands. Now pedal not working.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eido Walny, Milwaukee on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 08:03 pm:

Yesterday a bunch of us changed the bands on my 27 Tudor. The install wasn't super smooth but we did get the bands all in with some labor. While making adjustments, we noticed that the reverse pedal is not returning to position after being engaged. I.e. If you push it down, it stays down. That's bad. Any ideas what that could be? I'm thinking we may have slightly bent the pedal rod on installation. Any other thoughts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 08:17 pm:

Not tightened up enough - did you install new springs also ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eido Walny, Milwaukee on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 08:20 pm:

We did install new springs. We tightened those springs tight. No avail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 08:30 pm:

When this happened to me recently on a brake band I discovered that the right end of the spring had gone into the slot of the band lug. I used a screw driver to compress the spring from the right side no then let it snap back and it centered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 08:32 pm:

Eido,

Did the removable end of the bad ear slip off? In other words, is it still locked in place?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eido Walny, Milwaukee on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 09:13 pm:

Mark, I'll have to check on that.

Jerry, I do not believe the ear slipped off. We had a bigger of a time with it, but when we got it on finally, it was on pretty good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 11:29 pm:

Are you using lip seals or O-rings? If so make sure they are oiled.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eido Walny, Milwaukee on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 10:43 pm:

Turns out there was a small spur on the pedal shaft. Very small, but the clearance for these pedals is very very small. Once we sanded the spur down, issue went away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 11:05 pm:

Glad you found the problem, thanks for reporting back to provide closure. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration