Does anybody have pictures of the magneto horn button/headlight switch

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Does anybody have pictures of the magneto horn button/headlight switch
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 10:21 pm:

Changed my profile picture...thought the picture should reflect how my car looks today and not as it looked two years ago

OK, down to business...
I'm, looking for pictures of what magneto horn button fits into below it...there is a square shaft coming from under the button. I figure that the button works the same as all other buttons, push down, forces the two copper contacts to make touch completing the circuit for the horn to sound...but what throws me is that square shaft. It obviously turns some contacts to operate the headlights. But does the lower body turn or is there some sort of internal contact that rotates to the different positions for hi and low beam with in the lower body.

So if any of you have pictures of this switch, I'd appreciate you posting them here so I can see how it works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, September 11, 2017 - 01:29 am:

Martin-
The square shaft has a spring on the underside of it and a keeper on the end.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Monday, September 11, 2017 - 01:51 am:

Thanks Keith, is that the only spring? the one on the bottom there?

There must be another piece between the horn button and the body that the square turns right? That would be what makes the contact for the headlights. Because that screw goes through the housing and through those ears just like it would on 19-27 switch, so the body would be stationary to the housing.

Is that spring also a contact, like for the horn then? I'm assuming that the two on either side are for the headlights (dim and high), which leaves the one over by the Ford Script which must be the power connection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, September 11, 2017 - 07:24 am:

I've seen NOS ones at Hershey. They were used on non-starter cars from 1918-1922.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Monday, September 11, 2017 - 08:04 am:

I hope this helps. :-)
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/754012.html?1494793404

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Monday, September 11, 2017 - 06:48 pm:

Thanks Duey, now I understand how that damnable switch works. The internal spring keeps the headlight contacts together, the initial position is off, one click forward is (I'm assuming) dim and the last one bright, right? But you said you don't have the reducer that goes on the firewall for it...do any of the vendors carry that or is that something you've got to find as a swap meet?

The horn spring is on the bottom and does nothing but lift the button off the contacts...so when you push it down, it forced the two together and completes the circuit making a noise rather like strangling a goose, or as some call it, the horn. :P

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Monday, September 11, 2017 - 09:04 pm:

Waa Waa. Sounds like an injured duck. Hehehehe!
I really have come to like it and the few who have heard it like it too...
One of my grandsons slithers under the car (he always does anyway), quietly hooks up the battery, comes back up/out under the passengers running board, climbs in, honks the horn and turns on the lights. He's 5. Most of them are monsters but this one MIGHT make the best mechanician along with the autistic one that's just like his Grand Dad. :-) Just let me alone at a bench and I'm good.
I wanted Ahh Ohh Gaa! Not to be. Can't find the damned thing. I got one with a cut-off bell, cleaned it up and it scared the hell outta me when I spun it up!
Instead I have correct and glad of it. :-)

"that damnable switch" Uh huh! But a stand-out/oddity in the black era cars.
Where's your dash? Ain't got one. :-)
Where's your head lamp switch? Over here. :-)
Waa Waa.
That consarned dimmer and the lighting positions? I got no clue. That gizmo prob'ly flabbergasted the folks that had the 18 in the 70's.
Or it fell off the firewall. I don't have the one for my car.
Sorry for my long babble and very glad if my pics helped a bit.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration