Gas Tank Sediment

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Gas Tank Sediment
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Snell on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 11:29 pm:

I was surprised when I stuck the gas gauge in the tank and it hit a soft sediment layer at the bottom. This is a new tank put in during restoration less than three hundred miles. I hate to think that the last time I put gas in at Valero that all that sediment came with it!!! About 1/8 inch worth in the bottom of the tank. Any suggestions on flushing or cleaning the tank out would be appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 11:47 pm:

Daniel

I bought a tank of mud about a year ago. Drained tank many many times while stiring and agitating and filtering the fuel and then finally let it dry. Material had the consistency of cement dust or talc. There is a film of it everywhere along with trace amounts in every crack and crevice. After a move west and getting settled in, I am now ready to tackle it.

I will be pulling the tank and flushing it out with soap and water until it runs clear. I am in a very warm and dry area and have no fear of this particular treatment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Snell on Monday, September 11, 2017 - 10:19 am:

Thanks Scott. A guy that does restorations near here says he can steam clean it out, so will give that a try.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady L Puryear on Monday, September 11, 2017 - 11:10 am:

Lots of reasons for this, I blame all of mine on Ethanol, having had to replace three (3) tanks in recent times because of failure to drain, and no, the after market additives don't work. Another reason for gunk is getting it when you fill up, right now we as are many others are out of gasoline, one follows the tanker truck to wherever he unloads. When they dump a new load, it stirs up the settling in the Stations big tank, and you get a slug of it. If you don't have one, be sure you have a bowl at your tank outlet, and drain on a regular basis, that helps a great deal. Unless you strain your gasoline before putting it in the car, you are going to get this gunk. Radiator shops do a good job of cleaning tanks, been there, done that many times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Snell on Monday, September 11, 2017 - 02:17 pm:

Thanks Grady for the heads up. I will strain the gas from the pump from now on, and drain the sediment bowl regularly as you suggest. It is a real pain dealing with this issue, pulling the gas tank is no fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Watt - Bedfordshire UK on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 01:26 pm:

This was in my sediment bowl, including a bird's feather!Contents of Sediment Bowl.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 02:09 pm:

Grady, I don't think I've seen a post from you in a coon's age. Good the see you here. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration