The T-Centric mindset

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: The T-Centric mindset
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Monday, September 11, 2017 - 10:40 pm:

Today I took my wife's car in for it's bi-annual smog check. I was sitting in the office, reading a magazine while the test was in progress.

A young woman walked in and began her transaction with the office lady. Name, copy of registration, etc. The last question the office lady asked was,

"Year and make car ?"

"It's a '12 Ford."

My immediate reaction was, "She doesn't need a smog check for a T !"

But when I looked out the window I saw a 2012 black SUV. Guess I need to get out more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, September 11, 2017 - 10:55 pm:

Thank you. I needed a good chuckle more than you know.
Yeah, I still do that often. Been jumping to that conclusion for seventeen years now (OH! Someone has a 1901 Oldsmobile!) You would think I could eventually learn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 04:37 am:

I knew I had driven the T a lot recently while in a company car last week with cruise control on - once I reached for the windshield wiper lever to reduce speed... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 05:27 am:

Can't tell you how many times I've wished modern cars had the gas on the column.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 06:11 am:

My Ford Escape has gas on the column ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 06:28 am:

Good one!

As for the smog check, when Massachusetts started those it seemed they wanted to shove that probe into everything on wheels... I was 18 or 19 years old and driving a speedster made from dads spare parts pile at that time and it was funny watching the garage mechanic crawling around trying to get it into the T muffler. I think he even asked where the tailpipe was.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 09:55 am:

Some years ago I attended a Mainely T Tour in my '24 coupe. I drove to and from the tour rather than trailering it as the tour was "next door" in Maine.

It was a wonderful four days of T driving and when I arrived home late Sunday night I had put about 625 miles in the coupe. As you can imagine, there were many occasions when I filled the gas tank.

Well, the next day was off to work in the modern car followed be the monthly T club meeting. On the way to the meeting I had to stop for gas in the modern car. Of course I pulled up to the pump and made sure to align the right front door with the gas pump. I was about to shut off the engine when I broke out in laughter at my folly as a result of so many recent miles in the T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 10:09 am:

I went to get spark plugs for the spare T engine a couple weeks ago. Napa was busy, The clerk was a young lady, who has assisted before. The old guy working next to her is a car guy, and knows me. As usual is asking if I drove the T today, and so forth. The store is busy, and there is a line at each register. I tell the young lady I need spark plugs. I tell her make, model and year. She repeats it wrong for all items except ford. I think I had to correct her at least 4 times on year. The old guy had to tell her, a few times, no this is a really old car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 10:38 am:

Dick,

I know what you mean. I see it a lot of that here as well. Someone posts a photo of an unknown car part or tool and everyone tries to figure out just where that would fit on a Model T, as if no other cars were ever made in those days. What were those other cars anyway? Can't think of any right now... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 03:29 pm:

Last summer, my wife bought a new "Edge". For years, all the increasing "nanny" stuff on newer vehicles has irked me, but this one was the last straw. I swear, it sits in the drive thinking up mean things to do to me . . . I bought my Model T in self defense ! Liz understands me. My ponies know who's boss - the Edge definitely does not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 07:09 pm:

Jason you just reminded me when I go to NAPA(They do have a few things for the T, like bendix springs) an older car guy usually yells out step away from the computer and nobody gets hurt!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM WILSON, AMORY, MS on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 08:18 pm:

When I went to the local auto parts store to buy a set of spark plugs, a lengthy discussion ensued amongst the employees re the price. The young clerks concluded there was a mistake in the computer since "sparks don't cost that much." Guess if I had agreed I could have bought them for two bucks or so each.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 09:10 pm:

I always assume that most older people know about Model T's. When I was young and first started working on T's, I could just ask my grandpa or somebody around his age. I'm not thinking that the people now who are the same age as my grandpa was then probably had a 47 Plymouth or something for a first car. I see them at the store and they want to look and I start talking about stuff I figure they know, and they look at me like, how old do you think I am?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration