OCF Car Races

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OCF Car Races
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Schrage -- Grosse Pte Farms, MI on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 08:12 am:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxXsrX5OMBE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom VanMeeteren Valley, Nebraska on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 08:33 am:

I'm surprised someone didn't have to call 911.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 08:53 am:

Ain't nothin' like the OCF!!! Love the drone shots.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 09:12 am:

Nice video! Thanks, Rick.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 09:32 am:

The drone lifted off jus across the road from us.... 1st video I've seen from it. It was a pretty nice (i.e.expensive) looking device!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 10:15 am:

Vintage "Street Outlaws" episodes??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 10:19 am:

Thanks for the fun video. It appears the lime green and pink speedster is still in attendance

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 10:34 am:

Gary,

Yes, owned by a very nice young lady who restored it along with her dad. She grew up in the hobby, and unlike lots of kids, has picked it up as well. It was a very special OCF for her I'm sure, as she just recently lost her father. I know it meant a lot to her to be there. It did for me anyway...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 11:34 am:

Thanks Jerry. I kept the Vintage Ford article about hers and a friends colorful speedster till we left the states. I used to display it with those pages open on the back of our speedster :-)
Condolences as I didn't realize she had just lost her dad :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 08:42 pm:

Nice video Rick!
Looks like great fun! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 09:08 pm:

Those crazy kids with their hopped up cars!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 11:33 pm:

Interesting that they allowed the green and purple speedster. The application stated they wanted authentic looking cars, and I don't think anyone in the day would have used those colors.

Jerry, did her friend with the other colorful speedster come with her again?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 01:15 pm:

Dave,

I'm drawing blank on the other colorful speedster...

Whether or not anyone would have used those colors is one thing, whether they were available then is another, and more the issue I think. It's not metallic, so???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 03:03 pm:

A few years ago when I was at the OCF, there were 2 ladies with speedsters. I think there were 7 or 8 speedsters there that year. The ladies were very pleasant to talk with and have very nice cars.

Too bad I no longer have pictures from that visit. Maybe someone else can remember who the other lady was.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 03:26 pm:

The 2 green & pink speedsters are owned by Jack Zimmer's daughter Sarah, and Red Hall's daughter Amanda.

I believe both fathers are past presidents of the MTFCI. Jack just passed away a few weeks ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 04:20 pm:

Perhaps the other speedster he is thinking of was the white body with the red chassis? That was driven by a lady too.

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 04:28 pm:

Colors are a difficult subject on speedsters. While I see many that I don't care for (Yeah, I just admitted that I can be judgmental about such things), there have been enough surviving original pieces, and recorded memories, to know that pastel-like colors were sometimes used. There was even an article in one of the collector car magazines over 40 years ago documenting a particular custom car builder from the '20s and '30s whose signature color was pink. Except for Bugattis (signature color again) and a few other European cars, I don't like baby blue on antique automobiles. However, it is a documented color on some really fine automobiles from that era. Light green and orange colors are also documented (Metz used Orange as the factory color on their "speedster" model in 1914, and yes, "speedster" is what the sales literature called it). So, when all is said and done? Some of these brightly colored cars do need to be accepted.
Metal flake and metallic paints on the other hand, were not really developed until the early/mid '30s. So a line can be drawn there.

Great video! Thank you for posting the link. I noticed that all the races were not alike. In some of them, someone had to run back to the start and return (with something?). In another one, it looked like they were spearing potatoes (an old car games favorite). I liked the races where driver and passenger had to get out and run around the car the best. It was especially good when a car was loaded down outside and in, and everybody got off and ran around! Wonderful stuff.
Again, thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Schrage -- Grosse Pte Farms, MI on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 04:37 pm:

Wayne,

Races included an old fashion drag race; a race to a cone and a passenger runs back to put on his shoe and runs back to the car, then off to the finish line; another included carrying a cup of water to to finish line; the potato stabbing race; and a slow race. Great fun to watch.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 05:12 pm:

All of those events are great fun! (as long as proper care is taken for safety). Somehow, I have managed to not go to many of those field meets (what they are sometimes called for those that are not familiar with them). Been a few times though. Many (too many) years ago, I went to one with the speedster I had at that time. Stock engine (mostly), Muncie UDO with reverse, and a Ruckstell. I was sadly told that they were not holding the "slow race" that year. That car in reverse-reverse Ruckstell idled at almost sanding still. It was probably the fastest car at that meet! And definitely the slowest. I demonstrated the lowest gear slow speed to several people and was declared the unofficial winner of the not held slow race.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Schrage -- Grosse Pte Farms, MI on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 05:31 pm:

Also a race in which a passenger picks up a balloon, blows it up, and then pops it on the car and on to the finish line.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration