Binding Bendix

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Binding Bendix
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Stryker on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 12:00 pm:

Irma has passed, so back to tinkering. I took off the bendix cover and removed what would come out. The bendix is still bound to the flywheel. I loosened the starter a tad - only took each bolt out about two turns. I need some guidance as to how much to loosen it to relieve the pressure - I know things can easily get damaged around the stuck bendix. Thanks for the help - this has to be the most responsive, most helpful forum of any kind I have ever been a part of!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 12:29 pm:

Did you try rocking the car with it in gear first. If not tighten the mounting screws back up and try that.
If you have the spring off you will need to rock the starter and pull back on the bendix at the same time.
Note; you may know this, do not try and remove the stater with the bendix attached you WILL damage the mag coil ring. Just turning the screws out a few turns will be ok.
The armature shaft may be bent or the teeth on the flywheel ring gear are bad. Have someone turn the crank while you look thru the bendix cover hole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Stryker on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 02:14 pm:

I have tried the rocking - it doesn't budge. After removing the bendix cover, I can confirm the bendix is indeed jammed into the flywheel. I just did not know how far I can safely back off the starter bolts and not do any damage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 02:17 pm:

With the bendix cover off, try turning the bendix counter clockwise. You might need to use a strong pliars on the end of the starter shaft. This action moves the starter away from the flywheel. It should unlock the starter. I think something such as the starter shaft might be bent because it shouldn't stick that hard, of course, if the teeth on the gears are damaged, it could also make it stick. Either way, you should be able to un stick it by rotating counter clockwise as you face the rear of the engine.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Stryker on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 03:53 pm:

Got it! It appears the issue is one of the bolts holding the bendix to the shaft has sheared off causing it to bind. Have the bendix removed and it looks fine. Best answer is probably to get a new starter, but will remove it another day and check it out more closely. At least I can hand crank it after installing the bendix cap again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 03:53 pm:

I had this issue a few years back. I have no clue what I did to really free it. It just freed up when I stopped rocking it, after about hundred rocks.

I locked mine up while out for a drive, for an early morning drive. I worked on it for an hour. Did everything I could think of. Rocking the car a lot was one of the items. I pulled the bendix apart as best I could. I think I loosened the starter too. I left the car for a couple hours, as I had an appointment to get to. I called a tow truck when I was on my way back to the car. While waiting, I messed with it again, including putting the bendix all back together, all of a sudden it popped loose, when I rocked it some more. Cancelled the tow truck. and drove it home. Never done it again.

No clue what I did to get it free.

Good Luck

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration