OT - Shoulder Replacement Update

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT - Shoulder Replacement Update
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 02:03 pm:

Have finally decided to not fight it any longer... With wrench twisting difficult to tolerate and sleep deprivation from pain, the appropriate thing to do is heed the advice of Larry the Cable Guy - "Get 'er done!" It does make sense.
Orthopedic consult. Identify. Have he CT scan ("Lay very still!") to get the precise measurements for constructing the specific device. (Everything is computerized.) It will be a one-night stay in the hospital for a 'total shoulder replacement'; 2 to 6 weeks in a sling; therapy starting at 4 weeks.
Doc says I'll even be allowed to brush my teeth and 'other' bathroom hygiene after a couple of days. The degree and kind of impairment/damage determines the type of repair - "Replacement"; "Total Replacement"; or "Reverse Total Replacement". I saw X-Rays of an 87 year-old man's immobile arthritic shoulder who got the 'reverse' procedure. I hope mine works as well!
So, what's the bottom line identified here? "Enough!" of trying to 'manage the pain'.....
"Life is too short to not enjoy the hobby!" ("Get 'er done!")

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 02:10 pm:

I hope your Model T has a starter! Good luck with the operation and I hope it eases your pain.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill's Auto Works Wakeman, Ohio on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 02:10 pm:

Best of luck with your surgery Marv,

My Mom is 76 years old & just had total shoulder replacement surgery. She fell & dislocated it coming over here to feed my dogs & cats while I was on the road. She finished doing what she needed to do & then went home. She did not got to the hospital till the next day & they could not get it to stay in the socket. Hence the surgery. It went very smoothly, she was home the next day & NEVER took a pain pill the whole time. It has been about 4 months & she is almost 100% back to normal. She was "weed whacking" after about a month!

God Bless
Bill Squires(owner)
Bill's Auto Works

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop, San Diego on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 02:45 pm:

Norm,
My T has a starter. . . . .Marilyn!
Working quite well since my shoulder was taken apart and put back together:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 03:19 pm:

I have two artificial shoulders. They work great, and I can crank not only my T but my one-lung Cadillac (5-inch bore and stroke!) I hope your comes out as well as mine did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 03:25 pm:

I guess they can replace everything except a brain.
I wonder if they are working on the brain!

Good to hear things are going well!
Get back to it soon!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 03:48 pm:

-Fred-
"The problem with common sense is......"
Thanks for all the 'well-wishers'!
Marv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 11:12 pm:

Marv, Good luck. I'm suspect you'll do great. Two hips and knees, and rotator cuff/bicep reattachment have taught me medicine has come a long way from when our cars were built. My only recommendation is go at therapy like there is no tomorrow...... Go get them....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Howard ( Australia) on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 02:50 am:

Go for it.. had a reverse replacement done about 2 years ago... before if I wanted to work overhead I had to put the spanner in my hand and lift the arm up with the other hand .. now I have complete movement with the exception that I can't reach behind my back to tuck the shirt in, but I can live with the shirt tail hangin' out!! Three weeks of restricted movement with the arm strapped was well worth the inconvenience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 11:09 am:

Best of luck Marv on your surgery, I've been there "TWICE". It's you and me bro, same time frame, only I'm going in to have the "Pain Pump" installed. Thank you U.S.Government for taking care of this 71 year old guy. They took away my pain medication for fear that I was too damn dumb of maybe overdosing !!! Legitimate pain medicated patients (Idiopathic Neuropathy) are grouped with recreational drug users. Thanks to the "brain dead" Medical Board, U.S.Government for watching out for me. Never, ever thought this could happen in America BUT IT DID !!!

I sincerely apologize buddy, got carried away, you know the story. When your feeling better, You, Janette and Grandson stop in and check out the "T" collection and just a little "BS". Can't picture you shoveling snow @ beginning of winter. Best advise I could give is take your pain medication and above all do your therapy (that broom handle has got to weigh a ton).

Hey Bill Squires, treat that lady (mother) with respect, not too many people go through this type of operation without pain medication. Take care my friend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 12:00 pm:

-Hey, John-
It isn't difficult to empathize with you. I feel very fortunate to not having been exposed to 'Agent Orange' and the crazy side-effects. My own pain threshold is usually accommodating - even had a root canal without anesthetic.... Will catch up with you soon. Doing a 'pre-op physical' today at my cardiologist - getting everything lined up to "Get 'er done!"
"Happy T-ing!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 03:41 pm:

Marv, I echo what Rob says but with one note, Do the work on both shoulders at the same time. I did not have any knife work done but went in for PT a dozen years ago and my left side is the best it has ever been. My problem is the right side is at 85% of the left and it is because I didn't work it at the same time and am now working to get it where the left is. It is a little extra work but will be a big bonus later if they are both in the same shape.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 04:02 pm:

-Hi, Jerome-
Thank you. My dominant side (right) is the problem. Some arthritis in the left, an occasional 'clunk', but not any pain that's not tolerable. Regardless, they're not ready to try doing anything with it. Now being almost age 72, I'll be very pleased to get another 15-20 years (or so), going 'down the road'! The cardiologist today said "You've had at least 15 or more normal EKG's since the ablation." (Nice to know that I'm maybe normal at something!)
Youse guys Take Care; Behave; "Don't Shoot!" (and)
"Happy T-ing!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 02:59 pm:

Marv Konrad "The Prince of Putz" Normal?

Now that's a stretch!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 03:55 pm:

I say get it done while you can. That way life will be more fun. Working on your T won't be such a job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 06:22 pm:

-Hey, Fred-
That's a 'label that's been hard-earned'.... "Believe me! :-)
-and Tim-
T's have never been a 'job', but became like a movie titled such as "Mission Impossible"....
Marv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 07:14 pm:

Good luck. I extensively tore my labrum Labor Day 2016, surgery December 2016, in a sling for 7 weeks, about 12 weeks of PT (pain & torrure). I cannot scratch my back. Still have issues doing overhead work, as my shoulder starts to ache.

But all is getting better.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration