a question. and progress report.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: a question. and progress report.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICHARD GRZEGOROWICZ on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 12:09 am:

IS it true there are numbers stamped on the t frame? Im putting Tragurtha'S radiator and fenders ect back,getting ready to take in a show in LUDLOW V.T. the weekend of SEPT, 24&25, my car is a 1921.just want to know all there is to know. NOW FOR WHAT TOOK PLACE WHEN I WENT TO START THE ENGINE THE OTHER DAY FOR A FREND, pulled the choke give it 3 cranks pushed the timer up throttle down half way, now this engine has not been started for two weeks, turned the key heard the coil buzz and it started by it self.I looked at Bruce and cant describe the look,on his face,it was priceless, let it run for a few,shut it down and reset things and she did it again.WOW how neat..shure looking forward to her and I wandering down my driveway.for a little togetherness. GREG.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 02:07 am:

Welcome to the world of "free starts"! That is what most T people call those sudden bursts of running.
Always remember to keep the car set in neutral with the hand brake on before flipping the ignition switch!

Serial numbers, car numbers, body numbers, part numbers, factory numbers, frame numbers, ad nauseum. Basically, Ford did not put a serial type number on the frame of the model T from the beginning until December of 1925 (1926 model year). At that time, they gave in to several state's demands for a frame serial number for vehicle registration purposes. The "official" serial number on a model T was always the engine number. However, several states fought that and did their own thing. Other numbers came and went through the years. "Car numbers" which officially were NOT the serial number were used through much of the brass era, disappearing in 1915, and body numbers varied greatly across the years and from different body supplying companies.
Some states, like Califunny, even pushed for stamping numbers onto model T frames themselves during the model T years. So if your car is from one of those states? a Frame number is possible. But not "official" in the truest sense.
"All there is to know" could fill volumes. But a 1921 mostly just has the engine number. And part numbers. And factory numbers. And maybe a body number depending on body style.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 02:26 am:

Hi Richard,

Where in Ludlow will that car show be held? I am planning to attend another event on that weekend near Ludlow and might be able to pop in. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 07:24 am:

I'm not sure if you prefer Richard or as you ended your post - Greg -- just let us know.

You commented, "....my car is a 1921.just want to know all there is to know.

There are some excellent sources of information about the Ts and that includes the 1921 model year cars.

Bruce McCalley (RIP) produced a book "Model T Ford" that captured a lot of good information and while new information continues to be discovered (or more accurately rediscovered) it is great tool for learning about how your car was typically produced in 1921 etc. It is NOT a repair book. You can see a very abbreviated version of his book by going to the “On-line Encyclopedia” on our clubs site. It is located at: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/intro.htm and a one page summary of the 1921 model year cars is located at: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/1921.htm . The link at the bottom of the summary page is http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/1921-25H.htm and it gives a more detailed description of the 1921 to 1925 Model Ts. You will see that many of the changes had little to do with a “New Model Year” but rather were “running changes” introduced when they were developed. And that the older style parts were often continued while the new style parts were being introduced. For example in 1921 Ford began introducing the new Pressed steel running board brackets. Depending on when and where your 1921 was produced it may have the older style running board brackets or the newer pressed steel running board brackets etc. And the 1921 frames that have the pressed steel brackets still have the holes punched in them for the older style brackets.

Bruce’s book is not currently in print, but a better updated version is available on CD. And that version includes several other good books/items. From the classified posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/3487/788479.html?1505060160 it has:
By Leroy G. Brandon on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 12:16 pm:
Bruce McCalley's Model T Encyclopedia available on CD's, is an expanded version of his book "Model T Ford,The Car that Changed the World" and includes data never published anywhere else. Available only from: Barbara McCalley,308 Cottingham Court, Allison Park, PA. 15101 (412) 364-0561:gourmetbarbara2@gmail.com
$50.00 + $7.25 shipping.
You can also locate a used copy of Bruce’s book, but the CD has more up-to-date information and other items.

Have fun with your car.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 07:20 pm:

...sudden bursts of running. :-) Wayne, that's too funny!
Good on you mr-g for setting yourself up for a free start to show your buddy! Wait! This tells us you have her tuned in just fine. :-)
I told female classmates during our low key school reunion next door at a cabin in July "He likes you." If the 18 gave us a freebie/free start/sudden burst. :-) He did it several times!
Shoot, the 24 with a dizzy almost gave me a freebie a couple weeks ago!
Greg, unless you have a Bitza or a Frankenstein car, you likely have no frame numbers as spelled out above.
I have a matching serials car down in the woods (pile of poo) from May of 27 and ONE other frame here with a serial number.
Golly day! If you go lookin' and find a number on either top of the frame rails about where the toe-boards angle UP in front of the floorboard, let us know! :-)
I need to send an email to Barbara... That's cheap if a guy thinks about it. :-)
Good info here!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICHARD GRZEGOROWICZ on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 09:40 pm:

howdy Bill H, here is the info on Dans show,his farm is off rt 302 in Ludlow,there will be signs directing you to the field,[rusty ole tractor too ]its from sept 23 to 24. 802 228 5652.im planning to be there Friday noonish to help in setting up,there will be a little of every thing there.pray for good weather, if its going to rain TRAGURTHER will not be there.look forward to meeting you.GREG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICHARD GRZEGOROWICZ on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 10:06 pm:

Wayne, thank you for the information,I looked close and see no stampings read some frames were stamped, now I know mine is not one of them.free starts, I was thinking this took place with hot engine,guess not.glad she was up on blocks. I did and all ways have the e brake in the center.when in the shop.GREG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICHARD GRZEGOROWICZ on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 10:44 pm:

HAP, thank you very much for that information on the books, my ford has the older style running board set up.im no little guy but those spindly looking rods shure hold up very good.I am enjoying my tinker time with the ole girl.GREG IS FINE,im 80 and from the time when every one had a nick name,drop the z from the first 5 letters and there you you have it.this forum is the cats meow. enjoy it every nite.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration