LeMay Collection

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: LeMay Collection
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 01:14 am:

We were visiting our daughter who lives near Olympia Wa and while there we visited the LeMay Collection located next to the Tacoma Dome in Tacoma. This is the largest collection of cars of all kinds I have seen. They date from a horse drawn fire engine to the early cars and finally the modern electric cars. They are arranged by type having the Baker Electric alongside the modern electric car. There is even a car which is solar powered. They have two deLorians You can time travel with those cars. There are several Model T's. Unfortunately, Dolores carries the camera and only got a few pictures while there.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike conrad on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 01:44 am:

Hi Norman if you still in town. Visit the original Lemay collection. The Lemay family collection it has around 2200 cars. The Lemays donated 600 cars to start the museum you visited. It is just a few miles away. We have a large running fleet of model T's there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 11:08 am:

We are now home. Our daughter told us there was another LeMay museum but we only went to the one next to the dome. Maybe, the next time we go to visit her, we will take in the other one.

The museum we saw had many Model T's and even a repro rat rod T. Too bad we only got a few pictures. Dolores only takes pictures she likes! Many of trees and sunsets etc. Even gets some friends and relatives once in a while!

Here are a couple more pictures.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 12:16 pm:

So Norm visited the "little" collection which was huge and there are another 2200 nearby?

Does that mean most of the old cars in the world are in Olympia?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dunn on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 09:38 pm:

The "other" LeMay museum: https://www.lemaymarymount.org

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Lake Oswego, OR on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 08:19 am:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bruckzone/albums/72157641069604643/page1

I love that place. Have yet to see the larger collection at Marymount.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 08:35 am:

They have a few interesting vehicles.
If you spent 2 minutes looking at each of them it would take about 10 8 hour days.

Here are a couple T's in their collection that merit comment

This is a T showing off on of its special features

Can't figure out the wheels on this one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 10:45 am:

That's not a '25 in the top photo - '26-'27 - the disc wheels are most likely "Disteel".

The Lemay Family Collection & "Lemay" America's Car Museum are not directly related - Mike C. will correct me but I understand the museum somehow got the namesake !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike conrad on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 12:53 am:

For such a absolutely amazing collection the website well it's not the best. The depot hack in the picture is actively used almost every single weekend at LeMay the wheels are from a late twenties Chevrolet.
The original ideas was for the Lemay to build a museum to hold all of Harold collection which at the time was over 3,500 cars. That didn't quite happened what happened, the Lemay donated 600 cars to the Project along with other substantial donations to form the museum in Tacoma Washington the America's Car Museum. At that point the to museums kind of went a little different direction the Lemay family collection chose to mainly house the Harold LeMay collection of cars. Whereas the America's car museum houses many different cars from other collections.
They are both uniquely different museums and oddly only a couple miles apart from each other. The Lemay family collection houses around 2200 cars and is growing. America's car museum is under 200 Cars and is the one next to the Tacoma Dome. As Model T is go I have been volunteering for over 5 years now with a class that teaches people how to drive the Model T Ford it is my way of giving back to the old car and model T community.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike-Iowa on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 09:13 am:

Hello, on closer inspection I think those disc wheels may actually be Buffalo Disc wheels. I have a full set of these in my stock in excellent condition. These look like they have 5-6 bolts at the center hub area. Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 11:34 am:

Thanks Mike C.!

Mike-Iowa - you obviously have better eyes than me !!!

I have two T's with disc wheels - Michelin on the Fire Chief's rig, which have the tube stem in the back and Motor Utilities on my Racer - both 30 x 3 & 1/2.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration