OT - Old Car Festival, gaslight parade from a participants perspective

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT - Old Car Festival, gaslight parade from a participants perspective
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 01:36 am:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lqx0ysw3ocrarz3/Video%20Sep%2012%2C%206%2002%2028%20PM.mov?dl=0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 03:05 am:

Hi Rob,

Thank you for this wonderful video (good soundtrack, also). This is the additional nudge I need to make my gas lamps operational. Thanks again, Bill

PS: Are you using the P-O-L tank on the driver's running board or do you have another tank hidden elsewhere? B.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 04:23 am:

So very nice. Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 05:21 am:

Thanks Rob. Wonderful drive in the K. Seems that not too many of the oncoming vehicles use gas for illumination.
I have taken the liberty of passing on a link to friends to also enjoy it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 07:37 am:

Thanks guys. Bill, yes, the tank on the side. Gas shops still have them although limited, so you may need to check for a while to find one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 09:02 am:

Beautiful to watch, but those lights don't do much to help the driver see. When Rob's K goes into that covered bridge, where there's no external ambient light, he might as well be driving into a black hole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 09:41 am:

Gil, that's the phone camera not adjusting. I drive frequently with acetylene lights. They are more than adequate with good reflectors.

The only problem is meeting "modern" cars and having my night vision momentarily reduced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 09:42 am:

Rob, thanks for posting. This is the first time I've been in the gaslight parade. I was invited to ride in R.V'S 14 touring. What a memorable event!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 09:58 am:

Optical illusion... that firework looks like it's between the car and the tree.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Kowalczyk on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 10:08 am:

Rob, Well done, thanks for sharing, was very enjoyable to watch and listen to the music.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 10:16 am:

Thanks Larry.

I meant to mention the music choices.

1. "Alexander's Ragtime Band" was written in 1911 by Irving Berlin.

2. "In My Merry Oldsmobile," 1905, Gus Edwards (music) and Vincent Bryan (lyrics).

3. "Put on Your Old Gray Bonnet," 1909. Music by Percy Wenrich, lyrics by Arthur Clough.

4. "In the Good old Summertime," 1902. Music by George Evans and lyrics by Ren Shields.

I chose these songs because the people who originally owned our cars would have known/heard them, and many of us also recognize the music.

Old Car Festival is an event like no other, and I recommend attempting to take it in at least once if possible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 11:53 am:

Thanks for posting. I'd like to attend one of those sometime.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 12:08 pm:

It's on my list for next year. I was going to do it this year, but I made other plans when it looked as though the OCF was going to be a bust. I went once and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Rob, these days my eyes are even slower to react than your camera!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 04:55 pm:

Bill Harper: I went to many welding supply shops but finally managed to find the right tank. I now use it on my '14. They're out there. It just takes time and patience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 05:18 pm:

First time using my generator-powered gas lamps. They performed perfectly once I figured a few things out. Ironically the only lighting trouble I had was with the side and tail lamps. The wicks were too old to properly carry the lamp oil. I believe they were originals.

My neighbor in the 1914 display area gave me a brand new wick he had purchased from one of the vendors. It was 1/2" wide. The T wick is 7/16", so it wouldn't fit well. It was constantly bunching up inside the wick channel and the toothed wheel on the wick adjuster would then just tear holes in it instead of moving it.

I finally found the correct stuff and will have it at Hershey.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 06:33 pm:

Driver's side headlamp aimed high, aim correctly should light road ahead....

Great video,,,thanks !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 12:27 am:

Sigh.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 08:20 am:

Great video, love the music, where did you find it?
Here's a video I made driving home with Bill Harper after helping out at a Big Brothers, Big Sisters fundraiser last September. I agree with your statement "They are more than adequate with good reflectors", my '26 coupe has the original 6 volts headlights and they provide more than enough lighting for night driving.

Happy motoring,

Warren

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBoHGxA__Qg&t=67s

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 04:21 pm:

I've been disappointed in the few videos on YouTube of the OCF. They are very short (meaning in seconds, not minutes). The drone one was cool.

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 06:49 am:

Rob-
There is an easy solution to not losing your night vision when meeting oncomming cars. Do what I do and close your eyes . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 09:00 am:

Chadwick, I actually close one eye, opening it after the car has passed....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 08:19 pm:

I do the same ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 10:41 pm:

I might as well add my own car from the gas light parade. I must say I was pleased to see how many cars had their gas and oil lamps working as originally intended.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration