Is this Pitmam Arm Fixable?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Is this Pitmam Arm Fixable?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 02:16 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 03:43 am:

What's wrong with it???? Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 04:16 am:

Looks normal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 05:11 am:

Yep, looks spherical to me...maybe your problem is with the ball cap? You can either shave those down a bit or buy a new (preferably brass) one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 08:10 am:

If you're wondering about the ridge near the base of the ball, they're all like that. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 09:18 am:

looks very good to me. As Mark stated, the ridge around the top of the ball is normal ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 09:26 am:

If you are referring to the pits in the ball, don't worry about it. They hold grease. Your biggest concern is the diameter of the ball, and how much wear there may be. I have a NOS one I could measure, but I can't get to it now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 10:15 am:

My 1926 is 1" diameter but I have another which is slightly smaller. This may have been a difference from the improved T, don't know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 12:44 pm:

Yes, the ridge under the ball was my concern.

Thanks for the input

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 12:53 pm:

They're made that way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 01:02 pm:

The new replacement repo didn't have that groove under the ball, Hmm interesting

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 01:19 pm:

Different manufacturing methods.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 01:27 pm:

The one pictured here, was made by Dodge Brothers

Thanks again

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 10:01 am:

Keith: If your DB pitman arm isn't too out of round, you have a real find there. Congratulations.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 10:37 am:

I have 2 NOS pitman arms and neither have the "ridge" Keith has shown in the above photo. I believe that "ridge" is a wear mark from the ball cap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 10:47 pm:

I ALSO just found the Ford Script under the paint, and under a good light!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 10:50 pm:

I just saw that Marc Chaffin sold one today, and it also had the " ridge " with the T # on it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 02:02 am:

I just measured it, and it is 0.96 and pretty round, by my eyeball

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 11:47 am:

It can't say DB and have a Ford script!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 06:08 pm:

Here is the pictures of the makings

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 06:55 pm:

That's not a "DB" cartouche.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 07:13 pm:

Keith-

I think Dodge stopped making parts for Ford around 1914. Ford started adding Ford script to almost all parts in 1919, so it wouldn't have both.

Here's a picture of the Dodge Brothers mark, a DB within an oval.

Keith from across the river.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 10:07 pm:

It looks good to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 11:11 pm:

Steve and Keith T. Thanks for Clearing that up for me.

Keith T., I did know that information about the Dodge Brothers, but my memory is not working so good anymore, as I turned 65 last Sunday. I don't live across the river anymore, I moved to MN, about a year ago.

Steve, I know I'm not the sharpest tack in the bunch, but what is "cartouche" .

Thanks Keith B

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 11:31 pm:

Hows the other end with the tapered hole and keyway
The ball looks darn good to me

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 11:38 pm:

Bob,the other end is also in great shape. Nice smooth tapered hole. and the keyway is has nice sharp edges, and looks good with my naked eye.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 11:14 am:

My '13 had an oval DB on it, but I threw it away years ago because it was so out of round. It was used as a farm truck until 1940 down in Texas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 04:13 pm:

I Mic'd it in every position on the sphere, and as I said, it came out to 0.96, and by eyeballing it, it sure looks round.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 06:58 pm:

The Ford script was added to the arm on May 19, 1916. Likely took a month or so to appear on all production.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 07:39 pm:

This all good information for me to know. Thank you

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration