***1918-1822 Horn/Headlight Switch Assembly for non-starter cars.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: ***1918-1822 Horn/Headlight Switch Assembly for non-starter cars.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 03:45 am:

This thing was a real pain when trying to figure out the connections. The think I can't show are the rods or pin through the body that the leaf springs on the back are pushing against to make the contacts with the switch piece. If it hadn't of been for Keith Townsend sending me the patent drawing for this switch, I would've never figured the bloody thing out.

Anyway, take a look and let me know what you think

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 09:53 am:

The nut for the housing is hex, not square. Also, the screw is special, and has a shoulder just under the head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 10:06 am:

Larry, how far does that shoulder go down the screw? Will this do? Or is it longer or shorter?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 11:07 pm:

Is the sheet metal housing the same as the one with only a horn button, or is it unique to the combo-switch?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 03:09 am:

Nope, it's the same...just got different guts stuffed in it

Larry, I got to thinking about that shoulder and decided if they were going to make the screw unique like that it probably went clear down to just a few threads at the bottom of the screw...or course none of the repop's today have a screw like that, which is why I drew it with the modern screw.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 09:57 am:

The shoulder goes down about 1/4" from the head. I also failed to mention the entire screw and nut are raven finished.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Mino, near Porterville on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 10:03 am:

The nut is quite thin.

combination switch

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 01:31 pm:

Wooo, ok, that's good to know too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 03:46 pm:

I have seen them with Ford Logo or the BASCO logo, like in Phil's photo. That BASCO logo is still in use today and I believe stands for Briggs and Stratton Co.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 06:18 pm:

I know I've seen the logo's too, but they're on the back of contact plate...if they were anywhere on the front I would've put them in just for the fun of it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 08:08 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 03:27 am:

Ok, here's an update.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, September 15, 2017 - 11:43 am:

The photo that Keith posted shows the correct screw and nut, and the shoulder is indeed 1/4". The threads are 8-32 and the screw is raven finished. I just located a NOS one I have. It is the same screw used on the standard horn switch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 01:12 am:

Oh, ok I see what you're saying now Larry...

How's this?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration