27 Wire wheels / Truing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 27 Wire wheels / Truing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeffrey Hartling on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 01:04 pm:

I have a 27 Coupe/ Have went through complete car. I have one wheel (Wire) that is not true. Wobble is very noticeable. Getting mixed info. I have been told need to get another wheel as can not be made true. I would like to either send out to be fixed or buy another wheel/ Also info to change the tire. Would like to send wheel with tire out to resolve issue. After two years just tired ! Live in Indianapolis but will ship anywhere. If someone has a rim out there I'm a buyer. /
Thank u / Bear

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 03:31 pm:

I know a good wheel guy in SoCal. He straightened the spoke ,trued painted and balanced . He also had welded up cracks around the bolt holes. As I understand he's the guy who works on all of Jay's wheels.

I'd google wheel shops in your area that does wire wheels. And then call 'em cup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Robinson, Salty Bottom, AL on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 03:39 pm:

Bear, many times the wheel is true. But it's the tire that has the wobble. Mine was. Check your if you haven't already.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 11:09 pm:

Jeff, I had a 26-27 wire wheel or two that wobbled, but were too good to junk. Fortunately I have a good friend (a retired welder) who does all my welding for me. When he welds something, I forget about the repair because I trust him that much. I took him the wobble wheels, a spindle, and a front hub and when I picked them up, they were as true as they could be. I asked him how he did it and he said that even though a spoke looks straight, a few of them being just slightly off, make a big difference. He found the side of the wheel that produced the wobble and gave a few spokes a 'rap' with a hammer but not enough to be visible and kept working them until there was no wobble.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 08:49 am:

Carefully check the hub face. Especially on the rear wheels. If the hub bore taper is worn, or the axle taper is worn, it won't run true. Remember that it takes very little run-out at the wheel mounting flange, to make a lot of run-out at the edge of the wheel rim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 09:53 am:

Wire wheels can be trued. There used to be a place near Worcester, MA that did nothing but true up wire wheels. I had a couple of wheels done and they were perfect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 10:32 pm:

Other way is torch and wet rags. Works like shrinking metal panels. Heat the spoke, quench with water, shrinks the spoke some and pulls things into alignment. It's a bit of work and wet but works.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration