Sold my '19 Touring T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Sold my '19 Touring T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 03:51 pm:

Sometimes the unexpected happens.
I found an opportunity to own my dream car which I never dreamed would become a reality.
The downside is I needed to sell cars in order to make it happen and the Touring had to move on.
I lost a lot of money on it but I had never planned on selling it....... :-(
The saving grace is I still have my '27 Tudor which I love driving.
At any rate I was contacted by the Gilmore Auto Museum, who I believe also posted here in search of a T, looking for a T for their driver program.
Long story short they bought it and I feel pretty good that it will be USED and many new Model T drivers will be driving "my" car....... :-)

https://www.gilmorecarmuseum.org/education/model-t-driving-school/

19 Touring

32 Confederate

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 04:21 pm:

I'm glad you found your dream car and had a plan that would work. Many of us have to make these decisions from time to time and it isn't always easy or do-able.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 05:30 pm:

I don't get it . . . your dream car isn't a Model T ?!?

Mighty pretty though ! What is it ? Tell us a bit about it please ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 05:48 pm:

Looks like 32 Chevrolet to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 06:51 pm:

Oops.......forgot that little detail.
It's a '32 Chevrolet Confederate Special Deluxe Sedan with the dual side mounts.
The speedometer showed 11,700 miles........and it is in working order....... :-O

(Funny.......the site tells me Chevrolet is not spelled correctly.......LOL)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 08:25 pm:

Naw, that's your internet browser telling you it ain't spelled right.
My SeaMonkey doesn't know the spelling on a lot of things.
Enjoy that stovebolt Chevy Craig! Nice car!
Your ol' T will do good service teaching new people and serving the next generations. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 08:41 pm:

Thanks Duey.
The Touring was a lot of fun, on hot days especially, picking up a friend or two and just riding around.
We went for many 30-40 mile rides just because the weather was favorable.
That was my main regret about selling it.
But the weather here isn't terribly conducive to lots of Summer rides and I had a choice to sell the Touring or the Tudor.
I drive the Tudor until salt hits the roads here so that was a no brainer....... ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 09:49 pm:

Not a Dodge? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 10:04 pm:

My '24 Dodge and '65 Mustang left the building too.
I NEEDED my dream car....... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 10:17 pm:

That's ok, Chevrolet 6 are great and I like the styling too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Macleod on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 11:01 pm:

I get it. Plus, with all due respect to the 55-7 fans out there, i have always thought the 32 was the prettiest Chevrolet ever made. Well done sir!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 11:06 pm:

1932 gave us some of the prettiest flowing lines on automobiles. That transition from "boxy" to streamline was as good as it got that year as far as I'm concerned.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 11:48 pm:

Thanks guys.
I first saw a photo of a Confederate several years ago and thought the same things.
I thought and DO think it's the most gorgeous car Chevrolet ever produced, hence my falling in love with it on the spot.
At nearly 66 years young this WILL be my grand purchase finale.......what a way to go....... LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 12:10 am:

Some years back our club, Rose City Model T Club, was ask to help watch the Vintage Chevrolet Club of America regional tour cars over night while they were parked when it was in our area. Got to look at some very fine cars of the 32 vintage, they are in my OP better looking then Ford of the same year, even if they do have a lot of wood in the body. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 12:25 am:

I had a '29 Model A Tudor........I had been wanting a Model A but once I had it I decided it wasn't the car for me.
Fortunately the wood is good and you are correct as there is a lot of it and it takes an act of congress and a bank to replace it.
Chevrolet should have taken the cue from Dodge or Chrysler and dispensed with the wood long before they did.
I want everyone to know my Tudor T is and will be a keeper....... :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Skille on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 03:04 pm:

I sure enjoyed the tour of the town in your 19 T three years ago when I was in central Wisconsin. The new to you Chevy is a very nice car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 06:45 pm:

It can be difficult to sell a car you wanted, enjoyed, and put more into than you knew it was really worth. But you did so because you intended to keep it and enjoy it for a long time. However, something else comes along that you REALLY want, have wanted for a long time. It hurts. But it is worth it.
Drive, and enjoy!
Congratulations.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 08:06 pm:

Don.....I enjoyed showing you our little village too....... :-)
Wayne, I've always had a rule for myself and I've stuck to it.
If I don't play with something for a year it's gone and I've stuck to it pretty well too.
I had five cars and four doors so one car was always land locked.
More than once I looked at the cars and said to myself "What the heck am I doing with FIVE cars?"
The Chevy put me over the edge.......it was a now or never thing.
I'd NEVER own a car this nice for that kind of money, EVER, if I didn't do it now.
I bought it with a caveat.......the engine was stuck after sitting since 1996 when the owner drove it home from the body shop where it was restored.
I had no fear of the stuck 194 cubic inch six as I'm real familiar with the Chevy sixes.
There's much more to the story but this a Model T forum so thank all of you who indulged my little story.
By the way........my Tudor was my driver today....... :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 01:36 pm:

OK Craig, we don't need the "Paul Harvey" version, but at least you can't leave us with "I had no fear of the stuck 194 cubic inch six as I'm real familiar with the Chevy sixes." and not tell us what it took to make it run again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 02:55 pm:

Craig - Like Steve Jelf says,...."When you get old enough, everything somebody says reminds you of something!" It's true!

When I was a kid, growing up in the Chicago area, I had what developed into a little part-time business for me while in school, working on cars. Mostly, cars that belonged to family, friends, neighbors, and eventually, as my little "business" grew, friends and acquaintances of the above.

Anyway, one kid had an old worn out '53 Chevvy that was about as worn out of a car that I've ever run across, that actually still ran, (but just barely). "Andy" would drive that old smoke'n Chevvy over to my house on his part-time job "payday", and ask me something like,...."okay,....do another $50 worth of work on it"! So, where to start right?

Of course, it was a six cylinder (Chevvy stove bolt six, right?) As I said, it just barely ran, pretty much hit-or-miss, on maybe four of the six cylinders or so. Anyway, first, the usual easy stuff like plugs, points & condenser, ignition timing, etc.,....a basic tune-up. Next "payday", I ground the valves after explaining to Andy that in the long-run, a "valve job" on a worn out engine will probably just make things worse, but he didn't care! So I ground the valves, replacing a couple burned ones with other "used" but better valves, and actually got it to fire quite evenly on all six cylinders! Again, several more "payday" sessions where I addressed things in order of importance according to what Andy could afford, like brakes, sloppy steering, clutch, etc. Certainly not work that I was very proud of, but I have to say, that ol' "stovebolt-6" served him pretty well, for quite some time,...at least thru' high school, after which time, I lost track of Andy and his "smok'n ol' Chevvy stovebolt-6!

Anyway Craig, all that to say that despite a lot of Model T guys low opinion of Chevrolet, it has always struck me how "tough" all American cars were back in those days, ....yes, ....even Chevvys! FWIW, ....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 01:20 am:

OK guys.......the Reader's Digest version.
Once the head came off it was readily apparent there was an antifreeze leak between 4 & 5.
The pistons were not stuck hard so that was a huge relief and the cylinders were all shiny.
The head was sent out to get tanked, fluxed and whatever else it might need.
It turned out to be a '33 head which is a good thing as the earlier heads had a nasty habit of cracking between the the valve seats.
The valves were like new but the guides were shot.
All new guides were installed, the original CHEVY valves were tuned up and 6 new exhaust springs fixed that.
Whoever replaced the head must not have been very fussy about it.
HOWEVER.......somewhere in it's short life the engine must have suffered a catastrophic failure as the cylinders had been bored .040" over and fitted with aluminum pistons!
EVERYTHING else about the car substantiates the odometer reading and the exhaust manifold looks as good as the day it was built.
The only other adjustments made were shimming the rod bearings.
It runs like a Swiss watch and is fun to drive especially with the synchromesh transmission which was introduced to the Chevy line in 1932.
It's nickname of "Baby Cadillac" isn't a stretch.
The only thing I DON'T like about it is this the first old car I ever had that I need to be careful of the paint!....... :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Erfert on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 06:16 pm:

Craig, I lived in Milwaukee for 39 years ('40 to '79), my uncle had a 1932 Chev. Deluxe that he put up on blocks every winter and only drove it in the sunshine. He died in the early 50's while the Chev was up on blocks. This vehicle was sold while I was over seas in the USMC but I saw it very often where it was parked as it fell apart while the owner refused to sell it to me. It wasn't blue but thanks for the picture because that is all I have of my dream car. Oh, it ran when it came off the blocks but I wasn't there to get it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 10:31 pm:

What a coincidence Richard.......I had a pair of grandparents who moved from here to Milwaukee in about the same time frame.
They last lived at 34th and Greenfield before they came "home".
Car stories like yours make me sick.
He wouldn't sell it to YOU but sold it to someone else?
Grrrrrrr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 08:49 am:

1932 will make it into the Old Car Festival. Hopefully, you will be able to bring it, would love to see it there!

Cheers,
Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Erfert on Monday, September 18, 2017 - 12:47 pm:

Craig, Milwaukee was full of early cars back in the sixties and as always people were saving them for the kids. Most of them just stayed out in ice and snow next to the garage or were in broken down garages with no doors. I lived near Washington Park and people just didn't restore the cars but let them rust hoping for big money. I gave a 37 Ford to a parts company just so someone could use it instead of junking it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration