Holley Vaporizer Carb

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Holley Vaporizer Carb
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Praller on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 11:32 pm:

Hello everyone, I'm new to the Model T world and am having some trouble with the atmospheric valve leaking gas once the fuel line is open. Carb has been recently rebuilt with new gaskets. Any suggestions??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 11:46 pm:

RE atmospheric valve leaking gas? I think I know what you are asking about but you are using unknown descriptions of parts.
The illustrations in this postings will give you the correct terms.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/416013.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Praller on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 08:48 am:

In illustration number 98 on the above link, the part labeled "M" as atmospheric valve to float is where the gas is coming out of.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 09:19 am:

The only way fuel can escape from the vent (M) has to be due to flooding. Check the gasket under the seat, the sealing of the needle in the seat, and the float for leaks as any one of the three will allow flooding. Good luck :Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Praller on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 10:34 am:

It must have been flooded. I shut off the fuel valve and started it to let it run out of the gas that was left in the carb and the lines, after that it's not leaking anymore. Thanks for the help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 10:42 am:

Sounds to me like there might have been a particle of dirt or rust in the float needle valve (K) on your diagram. When you ran all the gas out, the particle left the valve and so the dripping stopped. It's always good to close the main gas valve at the sediment bowl when you park the car in case there might be an unexpected leak at the float valve while parked. A very slight leak there can drain the tank and if parked indoors could cause a fire hazard.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 03:47 pm:

I took the vaporizer off my 27 and put a NH on no issues with faster starts and smoother driving power. Mine was rebuilt but I didn't have the knowledge to make it run correctly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 09:10 pm:

I have ran two different types of vaporizers on my Tudor sedan and have had great luck with both of them. I ran a Holley with an Atlas manifold for ten years and am now using a Kingston. The Kingston has more power, but is difficult to start, hot or cold.

It sounds like your problem is solved; however, it is extremely important that the float level is set correctly (3/16"-1/4") and that the needle, #6220, is moving up and down freely. Debris from the tank can plug it quite easily. If you haven't flushed your tank, now might be a good time to do so and to make sure the fuel bowl screen doesn't have any holes in it. For peak performance, make sure that the adjustment needle tip, #6279, isn't blunt and that it seats well in the brass seat, #6283, which is screwed into the cast iron assembly. PM me if you run into any issues.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration